Snow shelter - clothing destroyed by blizzard - bug or feature ?

turtle777

I have been doing a lot of fishing out of a snow shelter on Interloper.

My clothes (+ bedroll) give me enough warmth to stay warm through blizzards. However, I noticed how after just a few days of "living" in the snow shelter, my clothes on the INNER layer lost about 30%-40% condition.

It looks like that the clothes get damaged as if I were outside during the blizzards.

Is this a bug (that should be reported) or a feature ?

-t

• Upvote 1

Probably not a bug

Interloper has 2x decay rate, and you're staying outside in a snow shelter which means your clothes decay based on their outside rate, which is the fastest.
Also the inner layers you have access to loper are lower quality, with higher decay rates.

So if it's a bug or not just depends on how long you stayed outside for.

Cotton underwear will lose 4% per full day spent outside, for example. You only need to be out for 10 days for that condition drop to happen
Wool socks will lose 2.667% per full day spent outside,
Thin wool sweater will lose 1.334% per full day. Et cetera

So it depends on how long you spent outside and what you were wearing. But it's probably not a bug. Interloper just hates you

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Just now, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Probably not a bug

Interloper has 2x decay rate, and you're staying outside in a snow shelter which means your clothes decay based on their outside rate, which is the fastest.
Also the inner layers you have access to loper are lower quality, with higher decay rates.

So if it's a bug or not just depends on how long you stayed outside for.

Cotton underwear will lose 4% per full day spent outside, for example. You only need to be out for 10 days for that condition drop to happen
Wool socks will lose 2.667% per full day spent outside,
Thin wool sweater will lose 1.334% per full day. Et cetera

So it depends on how long you spent outside and what you were wearing. But it's probably not a bug. Interloper just hates you

Also, this is a perfect example of why it's good to have something informing the player that clothing decay has some added details.

• Mention that blizzards destroy the clothes on the outside, when you're hit by the wind
  • Mention that clothes lose more durability when worn outside, so players understand why their clothes lose durability
  • Mention that environmental hazards like burning destroy your clothes, so players know that's a thing

Gameplay mechanics should be clear to players to avoid confusion

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Mention that blizzards destroy the clothes on the outside, when you're hit by the wind

I think that's the part that's throwing me off.

Deterioration in the blizzard is due to wind, not temperature.

But in the snow shelter, I'm not exposed to wind. So it should affect my clothes like outside, but like inside. It's only "outside" as far as starting temperature is concerned.

I agree that it's probably not a bug, but it's not really how physics should work.

-t

I am not a clothes expert, and it doesn't really matter how clothes exactly work IRL anyhow, and  arguing about it doesn't really change anything,

BUT!

I don't think this is counter intuitive. The gale-force winds of blizzards hit your clothes, and they start to break down because of the abuse.

I don't think clothes decaying due to the low temperature would make much sense.
Clothes are made of fabric, not rubber or something like that, so cold temperatures don't really change their behavior as materials, like it does with other materials (for example, below a certain temperature steel becomes fragile which leads to funny failures you wouldn't expect from it, cuz it's usually ductile)

Also the temperature varies a lot from morning to evening, so you'd have to make decay work differently depending on the current temperature of a blizzard
Also, this is a problem when it comes to cold regions, because they're already so cold. A cold sunny morning in Bleak inlet or Forsaken Airfield can get as cold as an evening blizzard in mystery lake. So it would be inconsistent.

Edited by BugReportEnthusiast
im not good at typing words

23 minutes ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

I don't think this is counter intuitive. The gale-force winds of blizzards hit your clothes, and they start to break down because of the abuse.

I think you misunderstand my point.

There are no gale-force winds inside the snow shelter, otherwise, it wouldn't "shelter" anything. 

And just to drive the point home further - the office in BR is considered "outside", but it is very similar to a snow shelter. You get a temp advantage, and zero wind chill effect. But clothes don't get shredded when there is a blizzard outside. That's how the snow shelter should also be.

That's what I mean by counter intuitive.

-t