Tie glimmer fog to regular fog progression

Serenity

From what I can tell glimmer fog can just appear out of nowhere. I've had several instances now of things going from clear weather right to glimmer fog. This is a bit jarring and can really ruin an in-game day when you just planned something.

It would feel better if glimmer fog were part of the normal light to heavy fog progression. So you need at least a natural light fog first. And then when it would progress to medium fog there is a chance it rolls for glimmer fog instead.

• Upvote 6
  • Like 2

Totally agree and this is actually really important because glimmer fog reduces visibility massively, and you can easily get lost in it

Blizzards and heavy fog both have warnings before they come.
For blizzards, heavy snowfall must happen before a blizzard hits
For heavy fog, light fog must happen before it hits

With both of these, you can entirely avoid them by not risking it and not traveling during fog or heavy snowfall. But with glimmer fog there is literally nothing you can do, and you can get lost through no fault of your own, even if you were being careful and only going out during good weather.

Also for whatever reason glimmer fog still allows high winds to exist while its happening, which is probably unintentional? I think?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smellyfries said:

This would be a very nice feature. I'm sure I'm not the only one to start exploring on a perfectly clear and calm day, only for it to immediately turn into a blizzard.

The game already works like this.

How weather changes can be seen by using the debug_weather command in the console

Before a blizzard starts, heavy snowfall always happens first. The weather goes from whatever to heavy snow and then (usually 2 hours later) into a blizzard.

• 2 months later...

Please make this a thing

I don't really mind the idea of glimmer fog. Unlike some people I don't want to turn it off entirely. But it's already annoying me in the mine region. A clear day. You think you can finally learn the outside area and see where you're going. But no, the game decides it's time for glimmer fog. Again. Twice now.

And lore wise I can accept that some machine or phenomenon causes static electricity in the air. But that should require fog / moisture to make it work. And not magically turn a clear day into fog :(