Delayed Food Poisoning

LunarLime

Something I find kind of strange, is how you get food poisoning instantly after eating bad food.

I think a funny change would be if instead of getting it instantly, the food poisoning would kick in some time after, like 6 hours later roughly. I think it could cause some scenarios where you get sick at the worst time possible. Like, you're taking cover from a blizzard in some car, but then that tinned sardines you ate and likely forgot about gave you food poisoning, and now you're in a sticky spot. 

I find being in sticky situations like this are some of the best moments in TLD, and in any survival game really.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While I like how realistic this would be, I feel there would be a ton of player deaths due to the new system. Imagine eating a tin of tuna fish that was going a little bad, and being used to the old system, you wouldn't see the food poisoning affliction indicator, immediately assume your fine, sleep for an extended period of time, and die.

However, I believe this system would work if when you'd eat a poor quality food item, the game would give you a "risk" prompt, similar to cabin fever. Something like, "you ate something nasty, you may get food poisoning" with a predicted time of either getting sick, or clearing up in 4-6 hours.

Like the idea, just I feel like there should be a big emphasis on the change if it would get implemented.

1 hour ago, Smellyfries said:

While I like how realistic this would be, I feel there would be a ton of player deaths due to the new system. Imagine eating a tin of tuna fish that was going a little bad, and being used to the old system, you wouldn't see the food poisoning affliction indicator, immediately assume your fine, sleep for an extended period of time, and die.

I get what you're saying, but one thing I would like to note is food poisoning in TLD can't outright kill you on it's own.

At worst, food poisoning will only bring your condition down to 15%, so there'll never be a time where you sleep and die from food poisoning before you get any chance to do really anything about it. 

I don't mind the idea of giving you a food poisoning risk affliction however.

1 hour ago, LunarLime said:

At worst, food poisoning will only bring your condition down to 15%, so there'll never be a time where you sleep and die from food poisoning before you get any chance to do really anything about it.

Honestly didn't know that, then I don't mind food poisoning being delayed. I feel like it would bring a bit more thought into what you eat, and when. Additionally, it may help prevent survivors from getting food poisoning on purpose just to sleep for 10 hours, since it could be delayed for such a significant time.