Handmade Firestarting Implements

mackenzieapologist

While wandering Mystery Lake and lamenting my lack of matches, I realized how strange it is for the protagonist to be reliant on mass-produced firestarting tools. Indigenous peoples around the world have developed numerous firestarting tools that are built by hand- drills, bows, boards, et cetera. These are most certainly less reliable than a match, and definitely labor-intensive to create and to use, but I feel like any bushman would have at least some knowledge of these tools. Especially with wilderness survival books in the game, coming across these techniques feels like it'd be a great addition- especially on harder difficulties or once a region has been picked over. 

I've no present ideas for materials/recipes, level access, et cetera. I just think that not being able to make a firestarting tool is a strange gap in the protagonist's survival knowledge, given everything else that is known or learned as we explore Great Bear. 

• Upvote 4

Definitely an option if they want to go in that direction. They can add more levels to the fire skill, add new blueprints that we can find on the map, or introduce new skills that can only be learned in the mid to late game. Personally, I would love it if they added advanced skills either by getting skills to level 5, completing certain tasks, or by finding books/manuals/blueprints scattered across the map. 

• Upvote 2