The Long Bark (pun intended)

andreakrap

This is a new mode to play "The Long Dark" invented by my son but i think it could also work as a "spin off" game.

You control a wolf and your goal is to hunt and eventually kill the human before he kills you.

As a wolf you have special abilities: for instance you're able to feel scents far away (trail of human scent allows you to follow him and can also easily allows you to locate deers and rabbits at distance). You can run fast and hunt little game like rabbits to regenerate your health.

You're able to see where the human has passed and left footprints in the snow and with an enhance hearing you can track activities if they involve sounds (for instance if the human open a door you can hear the sound even if it's far away  and know if it comes from left, right, behind you, etc.)

The last ability you have as a wolf is your howl, it allows you to call other wolves that help you in the hunt.
They become your pack for a while and it's expecially useful if you want to attack a struggle to the human.

Differently from the original game the wolf can get inside houses, caves, etc... at least, those where there the doors can be opened just pushing them (i.e. mountaineer hut).

Like in the original game there are different levels of difficulty. In the easiest one your wolf is very strong and the human pretty weak (and doesn't have access to the rifle), while the interloper level sees you like a pretty weak wolf (that can easily die from blood loss from a struggle) and the human is a seasoned hunter.

Being sensible to the light allows you to see in the darkness but it is also a problem because if the human lights a torch or a flare you see it like you're staring at the sun. Fire, torches and flare scare you so much and you can't go too close to them otherwise you lose sanity for some seconds and just run away from the human holding them.

The end finishes once the wolf kills the human... or viceversa.

To spice the things up there could be mission where there is a time limit, or you have different side goal (for instance you have to protect your puppies, or hunt food to survive, or you are weak during the day, and so on.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

This would probably be best as a multiplayer mode… the level of AI that would be required for the survivor is mind-boggling.

My son told me you are not wrong :) , he supposes it could work with a pack of wolves on a side... and the hunter on the other side with the Ai filling the empty spots in a way similar to Mario party (his words).

Thanks for the feedback.

• Upvote 1