Frontier Comforts Update Rebalancing and Initial Thoughts

Larryfine

Greetings all!

I just started a new interloper to check out the cooking update and new features. The cooking update is great. It is a system that can be expanded on in the future too with new additions (recipes, items etc) and the associated buffs seem like a great addition to the well fed bonus. This is a great thing for the longevity of the game and I'm super excited to see the new fishing and other changes with this update.

However, I do believe a closer look at the math needs to be done and the calorie counts of the items needs to be rebalanced. A carrot currently offers 175 Calories, this is way too high and should be around 40-60 calories. Please take a closer look at the numbers of each of the items with the cooking update to rebalance them.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently working onsite in Alaska and won't be able to play the update for a couple months, but I've been looking over the forum and the wiki and have noticed a few food items I feel could use a bit of tweaking. Keep in mind I'm going entirely off the wiki.

-At cooking 1, 4 acorns are worth 320 calories. Ground up and cooked in oil for acorn bannock, the acorns are now worth 250 calories and dehydrate you, with no advantage in cal/kg or beneficial afflictions. I see no reason to ever cook it.

-Porridge should be able to be cooked in recycled cans. It would make sense to be able to make gruel with flour and water too.

-As mentioned above, carrots should be worth less calories.

-Skillets should be able to boil at least 0.5L of water. I didn't see anywhere whether they could or couldn't, but I'm not able to test for myself currently.

-Salt should be able to be rendered from seawater in a cooking pot. With salt being renewable, broth will also become renewable, giving late-game survivors another option food wise rather than just meat and fish.

-Why can't we cook anything with tomato soup? Canned corn and ham would also make good ingredients, especially as corn is such a bad food by itself.

Looking over the changelog, this looks like a really cool update! I'm a little concerned about the balance on being able to place ice fishing holes anywhere, as I feel the ability would boost DP (and the Riken in particular) to being objectively the best place to stay long-term. I'll wait until I try the system for myself before I make any judgements. It certainly makes some spots a lot more viable for long-term stays, like the Milton Basin and the Bleak Inlet prepper cache (if we can fish by Summit at Ravine's End)

You can boil 1 L of water in the skillet, and it cooks regular meat extremely fast, which honestly is it's best use once you get cooking 5. I honestly think the cook time may be bugged, because it's craaaazy fast. You can cook 1 kg venison in 3 minutes game time in the skillet, where it normally takes about an hour to cook, 3 minutes!!!

• Like 1