Items disappeared out of containers and from sitting out in the open

Because I do use mods I'm not going to put this in as a bug report since I don't know if it's a bug with one of those, but something very odd just happened to me. I was moving a couple loads of supplies from Mystery Lake to Milton, using the cave via Trappers. My first load was equipment, and consisted of things like a car battery, climbing rope, some weapons and ammo, that sort of thing. I stashed most of it in the desk drawers in that little park office near the Orca station, except the battery which I set on top of the desk. After resting back up I went back for my load of moose meat.

Upon returning with my moose meat, I passed the office without looking and went straight on to Paradise Meadows. After dropping off all the meat I returned to pick up the tools...and it was all gone. All of it. The battery that was sitting out was gone, and the two drawers now showed Empty. I lost a battery, a handful of wires and spare fuse, a climbing rope, a 100% nearly-full storm lantern, some whetstones, firearm cleaning kits, ammunition, a bow, 16 arrows, medical supplies, crafting supplies... all gone. Including every harvested acorn from the eastern half of the map, and those are irreplaceable.

Has anyone had a similar experience? So far it appears to be a one-off. I did think to check for "Lost and Found" boxes just in case, but so far nothing.