Steam Deck Input Performance Issues

Calogix

I've tried to get this problem resolved for a while on the Steam forums but no luck. Figured I'd try here instead.

There's a serious issue when it comes to TLD's performance on the Steam Deck. The game is perfectly capable of running at 60 FPS however any input from the Steam Deck itself causes the FPS to tank down to the 40s.

I've tried plugging in a Dualshock controller to see if it could fix the issue but still it persists.

Any form of controller input whether it be from an external controller connected to the Deck or the Deck itself will cause this issue.

PSA: The same thing happens in the game menu even though nothing is going on.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this since I had a temporary solution of switching to the Proton version of TLD since the Linux version was the source of the aforementioned problems. Now, however, the Proton 6.0.8 version no longer works and you cannot progress past the loading screen. This problem has existed since the latest TLD update.

Edited by Calogix

23 hours ago, Stuffed Plush Chainsaw said:

Maybe that you cannot get past the loading screen has to do with you being offline in Steam? I remember there was such an issue recently. (Not saying this would be a fix for the actual issue...)

Tried fiddling around with it. Being offline, online. Didn't fix anything.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, Calogix said:

Looks like I'm going to have to bump unfortunately; until I get banned or the issue gets fixed. Tried asking on Steam, tried sending Hinterland an email but nothing is working. 

Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry you haven't received a response. We'll send you a direct message and follow up with our Support Team directly. Thank you for your patience! 

• 6 months later...

My turn to bump, this issue is still happening on the deck sadly.

The team did a fantastic job with the steam UI, we can configure any action both in game and in the menu, this is by far the most customizable and precise way of playing TLD (with both the analogic movement from the stick and precise gyro aim, different input for shooting and grabbing stuff so no more shooting the snow when miss clicing a stick etc... playing on the deck is such a sweet experience, specially in long winter night on with a hot cup of tea on the sofa).

But you simply can't use the default config if you want more than 30 fps, which the deck can do with ease.

For now as a fix i did a custom steam UI set up, that send keyboard and mouse inputs, and i have a very solid and smooth 50 to 60 fps in very high settings ( i even push the sliders up than the default max). I'm playing at 40 FPS to save up the batteries but it's a choice, you can (and should) be able to play at 60 if you so desire.

But atm if you're playing with the default setting the game struggle to keep 40 FPS sometimes even going below 30. This is pretty big. :/

Edited by Twisty