Wishlist item: Polaroid camera

Hotzn

Here is an item I saw being suggested on the Steam forums, and I find the idea incredibly cool: a Polaroid camera! I mean those cameras that came up in the 70s, where you could push the button and the camera would spit out a photograph which would then autodevelop in a couple of minutes.

Imagine - you could take photographs in-game and have them develop at once! You could then carry them around (I mean in-game) and take them out to remember special moments you had. Shot your first wolf? Take a picture! Caught the first rabbit in a snare? Click! See a wonderful sunset from a lookout? Make it last forever! When night has fallen, dinner is eaten and thirst quenched, take out your photos and flip through them...

This could be taken even further by enabling the player to stick photos to a wall and personalize his/her base camp. I would so love to take pictures outside and stick them to the wall next to the bed in Camp Office...

Up to this point, camera and photos would not serve any purpose in terms of gameplay - however, I think they could already make your shelter more hospitable and create a lot of atmosphere. What's more - photos could be expanded further: In several houses there are already photos - some lying around, some fastened to the walls (or so it seems). It would be great if these could be picked up, inspected and taken along. Wouldn't it be touching if these photos told some fragmentary story? Some words of love or remembrance could be scribbled on the back, or they could depict the owners of the buildings before the catastrophe.

When the story mode comes out, there could be side missions which require the camera. Maybe old Joe wants proof that his son Fred, last seen hiking down the Lake Trail, is really dead? Show him a photo of the body to give him some peace of mind. Scientist wants a good picture of the aurorae, taken from a lookout or weather station? Go get it for him.

Heck, there could be achievements connected to taking photos - "wildlife photographer" (take a picture each of a wolf eating a rabbit, a wolf eating deer, a wolf running towards you and a bear running towards you)! :D

Of course - realism. You would not be able to take an infinite amount of pictures, but would depend on finding cartridges with a limited number. Let's say 5 or 10 per cartridge. Like it was in the olden days with the real Polaroids.

Archived