Waste metal (cans, et al) to fishing hooks

Asinine

Can't remember if I've posited this before (and if so, it was before covid), but on any level you'll end up with a few empty cans. I'm no expert, but I would think that actually some of the bits from using a knife on a can (without a can opener) could couple with copious other cans and create some fishhooks. Maybe some mechanism that involves new, lower-level items to build up, because I feel the current scrap metal that will repair important things is too important.

Honestly, if scrap metal can repair a hacksaw, I feel that's too glorious for simple scraps that could easily create fishhooks. Just my two cents.

• Upvote 2

I like the thinking but like many items that might be useful IRL where your imagination is the only limit, TLD has a set crafting system that focuses gameplay on traveling to set locations (like forges) and back home to your base. I’m doubtful that a forge would be needed for much of the metal crafting  IRL, albeit the tools will be of low quality. I think Hinderland has said something along the lines of attempting to focus more on gameplay than reality as it is a game.

23 hours ago, Sasquatch007 said:

I like the thinking but like many items that might be useful IRL where your imagination is the only limit, TLD has a set crafting system that focuses gameplay on traveling to set locations

But what I'm saying is IRL you can easily hack a can up and twist a fishhook, but that's way less elaborate than what's required to actually make a fishhook in-game (edit: that metal in-game looks pretty thick and brutal and the fact that you can patch stuff with it with your bare hands is pretty impressive). I'm not requesting new content, was just saying that maybe you could tear up a can to a lower scrap metal level and those could be put together for the hooks. Please don't confuse what I'm asking with tedious "realism" that can easily add way too much from the devs' perspective and kill the game with mundane aspects like bladder control. (THANKGOD toilets are only used to get drinking water from, though you can still die of dysentery.)

And the fact that we all have copious amounts of cans after playing a few in-game days,  it'd be more realistic to be able to either destruct them (like fires, which when that was implemented was simply awesome) or allow them to provide a slight secondary crafting material.

Edited by Asinine
Forgot a thought