Random factor to bear behaviour

violcrimas

As soon as I encountered a bear I decided to see what happens if I provoke it. After the bear charged at me I was amazed to see his gigantic face above mine. He was smelling at me, roaring. I felt completely hopeless and helpless and was just waiting to see what happens next. For the first one or two times it is an amazing experience, that feeling of being a pathetic human at the mercy of a gigantic animal. Will the bear bite my face like the wolf? Will it grab me by the leg and carry me somewhere? Will it smash me with his gigantic claw and rip me to pieces? You know, it all happens within seconds, but the first time you see this you really get astonished, as if it happens for real. Definately good job here. The thing is, however - it's all the same all the time, and people get used to it.

My suggestion is-make the bear behave randomly after the charge. Make a couple of different scenarios that can happen. Like 5% chance the bear kills you, 35% chance the bear behaves like it does now, and 30%/30% he does something else. This way everytime we make a mistake with a bear we have to wait for our doom, startled. Will the bear "play" with us, or smell right at our face and leave? I mean, you've done an amazing job with how realistic, how dreadful the encounter with the bear happens-why not make us go through this amazing feeling again and again?

/Thanks for the brilliant game

I think the bears already behave close to normal. As long as you stay out of it's comfort zone it will only slowly walk towards you if at all. But come too close and it will charge at you to defend it's place, try it out yourself the next time you find yourself roaming Kodak Island in Canada :D

I'd like to see some defense mechanism though for our characters. A shot in the air with the rifle should scare it away most of the times and you might have good chances to scare away a charging bear if you make yourself really big (as seen once in an epic Ultimate Survival Alaske 2nd season episode). While I don't want to see bears act at random without our doing I sure would like to be able to influence it's behaviour somehow.

It would be great if we could do anything while in a fight with a bear. Not actually fighting it like we fight wolves but something to escape it. Most prominent would be to try to hit it on the tip of the nose. This actually works if you can manage it, my grandfather worked in a circus in Poland with bears and when he got attacked once he did exactly that, slammed his fist on the bears nose and escaped. Though I don't know if this would really work with a wild and not a cirucs bear lol (this was over 60 years ago so don't PETA me for this please :D).

I can already imagine the minigame for it in the same cutscene as we see now, just add a circle that marks our hitarea that we can barely control with the mouse, it should sway from side to side a bit but sway more in the direction we drag the mouse. When the circle is over the bear's nose we click LMB an strike. If we hit, the bear runs away and if not the fight ends deadly for us. I saw something similar in a game but for the love of the universe can't remember which one.

I can already imagine the minigame for it in the same cutscene as we see now, just add a circle that marks our hitarea that we can barely control with the mouse, it should sway from side to side a bit but sway more in the direction we drag the mouse. When the circle is over the bear's nose we click LMB an strike. If we hit, the bear runs away and if not the fight ends deadly for us. I saw something similar in a game but for the love of the universe can't remember which one.

Lol...it is obviously,how is our thinking similar,Chill. :D When I started reading this thread,exactly the same minigame I had in mind. :lol: Just with different results.

And this similar minigame you could see in Walking dead game,whille fighting zombies.There was also a circle with cross inside,which you had to drag with mouse on position of zombie head and then hit him with LMB.That was very hard to do,as zombie`s head was moving heavily in all directions.

So,I would like similar mechanics at fighting with bear,too.And this way of fighting could have several outcomes,so every encounter with bear could be story for itself. :)

I think the bears already behave close to normal. As long as you stay out of it's comfort zone it will only slowly walk towards you if at all. But come too close and it will charge at you to defend it's place, try it out yourself the next time you find yourself roaming Kodak Island in Canada :D

Hey, I'm not talking about it's general behaviour and reaction at player-I'm talking about it's behaviour during the attack :) Not sure that I myself want to see any means to defend yourself against it - on the opposite, I want to be helpless and wait for my doom. I can already kill any animal and even the bear itself with the rifle (if I am careful enough) - but there should be a room for a feeling that you are just a pray for a big animal, and if you are not careful enough, you won't be able to do anything about it. But that's my opinion and my wish anyway. Perhaps we will see some means to defend ourselves against bears, but I'm not really sure I want this.

Archived