Mapping - Add Item Spawns for Additional Benefit

dbmurph22

Hi everyone, browsing the forums a bit and there was a mapping topic near the top that got me thinking.  I started to reply but thought a new wishlist item would be even better.

My idea is that it would be cool for the mapping activity to actually generate some % chance of random items spawns in some way.  I think it makes sense - one surveys the area, maps it out, but then that study leads them to discover something.

I think the mapping mechanic in TLD is pretty cool.  That said, I never use it any longer.  I don't plan on using it.  I know some experienced players use it as a goal (map the whole region), but otherwise, not much at all.  I used it earlier in my play, because I didn't know the maps.  But I also didn't know the best way to play.  When I explore a new map now, it's better to map the area out with your legs and your mind.  Mapping with the charcoal takes time, possible cold if you're not by the fire or it blows out, and also movement opportunity cost, as movement creates finding more resources to survive.

I think adding in a bit about items spawning from mapping would freshen it up, make it fun, make it viable, and create decisions.  I mean, I would support it not guaranteeing a spawn, but just a chance to.  One couldn't spam it to abuse it because once an area is mapped, then that's it.  It's self limiting.  This isn't something I'm pining for intensely, but I think it's a cool idea.   Let me know what you think.