MIssing Prepper Cache - Blackrock

peteloud

I have played two games, continuations of long, old games, in which I travelled around Blackrock region.

In the first game, a Voyager game started when TLD was Ver 1.35, I mapped the Blackrock region completely and did not find the Prepper Cache.

In the second game, a custom Stalker game with reduced wildlife and reduced loot, I found the Prepper Cache.  I double checked to make sure that I was looking at the same spot.. 

I have F8 screen dumps of the patch where the Cache either is or isn't, but I'll not show them here as they are spoilers.

Is this a bug or is it possible to have the same region with the cache in different places?

Edited by peteloud
clarity

• peteloud changed the title to MIssing Prepper Cache - Blackrock
Guest jeffpeng

Since I am not particularly certain if you ask this question in full awareness that you may expose yourself to knowledge potentially gained from a Wiki, using mods and/or using save editors I'll pack this into a spoiler:

Yes.

Edited by jeffpeng

8 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

. . .  knowledge potentially gained from a Wiki, using mods and/or using save editors I'll pack this into a spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes.

Thanks, but I'll avoid your spoiler. I might call up the wrath of offensive spoiler-users.

Having given the issue a few moments thought I think I know the answer.

I found the cache with a voyager run that I started during the Hesitant Prospect version (I don't know what number that is though). 

I don't think caches show up on the map until you actually enter them; I mapped directly on top of a cache and it did not show up. After I went inside and came out though, it was on the map. 

If I'm wrong though, it might have been a bug I encountered. They are a lot smaller than you expect, so they are not easy to see. 

I still have not found the one in Mystery Lake or Pleasant Valley though :/

1 hour ago, Pencil said:

I don't think caches show up on the map until you actually enter them; I mapped directly on top of a cache and it did not show up. After I went inside and came out though, it was on the map. 

I still have not found the one in Mystery Lake or Pleasant Valley though :/

you are correct, in survival mode the caches only show up on the map after you discover the bunker and go inside.  Unlike story mode where the bunker location is revealed on the map because the player picks up  a note or clue triggering the bunker search as a side quest.    

As you are probably well aware,  in story mode the bunker is always in the same spot and never randomly spawns anywhere else.  Now, just to make sure there is no confusion, in survival mode the prepper bunkers have 9 possible spawn locations in each region regardless of difficulty level.  Differences in difficulty mainly effects the amount of useable items you find inside. 

now, just in case you didn't know, there are 6 possible variations on the cache contents:
Food bunkers primarily contain food and drink
Medicine bunkers primarily contain medicine and first aid items
Weapon bunkers primarily contain hunting rifles, revolvers and ammunition
Clothing bunkers primarily contain clothing like coats, sweaters, boots etc
Firewood bunkers primarily contain fuel, tinder, matches and firestrikers
Tool bunkers primarily contain tools kits, hatchets, knives and whetstones

Any one of these variations can randomly spawn in ML, PV or Blackrock.  Weapons and Medicene bunkers are the only kind that I know of that only spawn in the same spot on the map when they do spawn.  Perhaps Tools as well, I'm not sure about that one.  All the others randonly spawn in one of the possible known locations.  

There are a number of good maps and guides to each of the spots where a bunker could appear for both ML and PV.  Since Blackrock is so new, not sure if there are very many tutorial or instructional videos yet on where to find them.  Anyways, I think for most players, if you aren't actively looking for a prepper cache in either of the three regions, you are probably prone to overlook it.  most of them are out of the way, fairly well removed from the proverbial beaten path.  

No sooner had I written in my last email saying that I had found the Blackrock Prepper's Cache in the second game that I ran, but when I checked the same spot in the first game, it was not there, I realised that my expectation of the missing Cache being in the same place was fundamentally wrong.

They were separate games therefore the randomisation of the place of the Cache would mean that they were unlikely to be in the same place, or in the same place where someone else found it.  I haven't got my head around at what point the randomisation takes place and how this might be affected by games started under a much earlier version of TLD.

So I am back to my original problem.  In the first game in which I went into Blackrock, that which was started in Ver, 1.35, I have cleared the map of almost all the black patches, and haven't found the Prepper's Cache.  I think that I must simply have not seen the Cache when I  useed my charcoal.

Spoiler,

(I still haven't worked out how to hide this spoiler, so I'll space it further down so it's probably off your screen.)

TLD Blackrock Region.JPG

Edited by peteloud

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

To add a spoiler, do this:

[spoiler]The stuff you want to hide.[/spoiler]

It will come out looking like this:

Reveal hidden contents

The stuff you want to hide.

thanks for sharing.  it's not obvious how to use that feature so I completely understand @peteloud's frustration in trying to make that work.  
I'm now looking forward to posting something using the spoiler option!