(Rough) guideline for (current) modders?

Digitalzombie

Heya Hinterland team :)
Thanks for turning your attention a bit more in the modding direction.

I know it's very early and now at the end of the year the team should take their deserved break.
But since you've opened the floodgates (ever so slightly), we could really use some rough guidelines here.

Modding discussions were pretty much a no-go around here until recently and there is still a lot of work/decisions on your end to be made on how things could work in the future.
But since you've invited us back in now, it would be good to know right from the start on what we are allowed to talk around here.

I'm guessing you know already how we are developing right now and what tools we have. Since your decision on how to go on and what you are able/willing to give out is still pending, we are a bit in limbo. At least concerning this forum. Of course we can't just wait and twiddle our thumbs. ;)

So ... what are we actually allowed to talk about at the current time?
Are we allowed to disclose our tools and how we do things (even if it *may* change in the future) officially?
Is the promotion of existing mods allowed now or do you prefer for us to wait a bit longer?

Depending on the previous questions ... are we allowed to give out support here?
You already have the "no support on modded game"-info; I'd suggest to add something like "support by community / mod author".
Speaking off ... I think it would be really interesting to know a rough estimate on how many support requests you've mistakenly got because of mod problems, in the past. Always trying to keep this away from you, but ... well ... players.

I just wish for a smooth start and are happy for the possibility of finding a common ground. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 2:31 AM, Digitalzombie said:

Heya Hinterland team :)
Thanks for turning your attention a bit more in the modding direction.

I know it's very early and now at the end of the year the team should take their deserved break.
But since you've opened the floodgates (ever so slightly), we could really use some rough guidelines here.

Modding discussions were pretty much a no-go around here until recently and there is still a lot of work/decisions on your end to be made on how things could work in the future.
But since you've invited us back in now, it would be good to know right from the start on what we are allowed to talk around here.

I'm guessing you know already how we are developing right now and what tools we have. Since your decision on how to go on and what you are able/willing to give out is still pending, we are a bit in limbo. At least concerning this forum. Of course we can't just wait and twiddle our thumbs. ;)

So ... what are we actually allowed to talk about at the current time?
Are we allowed to disclose our tools and how we do things (even if it *may* change in the future) officially?
Is the promotion of existing mods allowed now or do you prefer for us to wait a bit longer?

Depending on the previous questions ... are we allowed to give out support here?
You already have the "no support on modded game"-info; I'd suggest to add something like "support by community / mod author".
Speaking off ... I think it would be really interesting to know a rough estimate on how many support requests you've mistakenly got because of mod problems, in the past. Always trying to keep this away from you, but ... well ... players.

I just wish for a smooth start and are happy for the possibility of finding a common ground. :)

Thanks for your questions. We're going to share more info as it becomes available. In the meantime, we've included a preliminary list of rules/best practices in this thread: 

If people choose to share/use mods, they do so at their own risk. However, we're approaching posts with good faith -- please try to follow the general forum guidelines and rules as a whole, be respectful of one another, and we'll continue to provide info in the weeks and months to follow. 

• Upvote 1