(Switch) scent indicator in story mode missing?

Drakhai

I'm playing the story mode and don't have a scent indicator. I tried looking this up but couldn't find anything, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

I'm SURE I had one in the past.

I'm playing on hardened survivor. At first I thought maybe this feature only got introduced with episode 2, but I'm in mystery lake now, and no matter how many guts and meats I carry, I get no wavy lines telling me how stinky I am.

I tried restarting and reloading. I tried starting a whole new game. I tried to find some kind of toggle in the options for this. So, what's going on? Bug, or feature?

Well, I've learned it was a bug, and I'm not sure what fixed it. Here's what I did:

A couple of days ago I signed up for Nintendo online and I deactivated cloud saves before re-downloading the game.

Don't see how this could have been the problem, but it was a new thing, and a new thing just before a new problem made it suspect.

I forgot to delete the local save file though, which I only noticed because my settings (specifically brightness) carried over after deleting and re-downloading the game. 

Restarting the game, starting a new game, those things didn't work. Somehow this did, I can't explain why.