Bow in The Hunted part 1?

Pencil

I decided to make a run on The Hunted part 1 and see how long I can survive without entering Trapper's Cabin. It's actually quite easy because of the plentiful loot. About 10 days in, I wondered if there was any counter play on my part against the Old Bear. Shooting him with the flare gun is not enough for me. I began to wonder if I could craft a bow to shoot him with just for fun. I figure that if I can make a bow, it won't kill him, but it would still be fun to shoot him with it. I'd also use it for hunting wolves and deer. 

The question is: is is possible to make a bow?

Sub question: can you find a Heavy Hammer? I went to Desolation Point, hoping for a heavy hammer in the whaling facility. I got one and forged lots of arrow heads in the Riken. 

Next question: Saplings? I realized that making a bow takes more than just arrow heads. I noticed that I had never encountered any saplings of any kind the entire run. Is it possible to find saplings anywhere in the world? Can I get some washed up from the ocean? I can recall finding a cured maple sapling in a container somewhere on one of my runs, but I don't remember where. It might have been Pleasant Valley. Can I get one from that same place on The Hunted? 

I've searched DP and found no bow. Right now, I'm at the TM summit getting those extra flare shells. I'll need a quick decision of where to go next to search for saplings, because I just found out that the bear can spawn on the summit, even though it's impossible for animals to get there lol. He can even spawn on the little area where the summit rope begins! One plus to being in TM though is that once you get somewhere the bear can't, your safe from the bear until you pass time/sleep/enter an interior (he will then respawn somewhere; most likely close by where he can once again reach you). 

Hopefully he can't enter the plane...

Anyways, does anybody know if it is possible to craft a bow?

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, you can't craft a bow because there are no maple saplings to harvest.  Nor are there any birch saplings for arrows.  Even the usual stray and/or broken arrows that you typically find aren't present.  Usually there are a couple of broken arrows in the dam door, but not this time.  Otherwise you would have found at least one good arrow and a bow in DP up in the little area where you find the campfire and the deer carcass.  I often find a broken arrow there as well and usually a maple sapling spawns up there too.  you did check there I assume.

yeah, so negative.  The only arrows your gonna find in this game are the two already sticking outta his sorry ass!  :flaregun:

Edited by RandomPlayer
spelling

• 7 months later...

Update: Found out that it indeed IS possible to craft a bow on the Hunted part 1. You can still find saplings washed up shore on coastal regions. Crumbling Highway is the best place to look since the bear doesn't spawn there. I have confirmed that you can find both maple and birch saplings from beach combing. You can get guts from deer carcasses and or rabbits. There is always a hammer in Hybernia, so you can forge arrow heads. It's not easy but it's possible. It would probably be worth more to simply use the arrows to hunt animals instead of anger the Old Bear, but it'd still be fun to give him some payback. 

Please don't remove this feature Hinterland. Keep it for those of us who survive long enough to even craft a bow on the Hunted.