interloper - why am I bothered

szotrab

After few years of playing..... good stalker runs I have decided to try interloper again.

I'm not sure what's a point.

I've read the forum and it looks like I have a terrible luck or .....I don't know how to find any tools or decent clothing.

How people manage to get a bow after 10 days is beyond me. I don't have a chance to cut maple sampling not to mention to cure it.

Constantly starving/freezing. The best thing I have found is a crowbar and combat trousers. Nothing else.

I loot 3 maps and it is hugely frustrating for example loot from the garage in CH was....wait for it.....cured gut. No sign of bedroll/saw/hammer....

:(

I've never played interloper for that very reason! Never any loot ! Most of the fun for me is having satisfaction from long amounts of searching and being rewarded for my time! Perhaps you should do what I do and watch some interloper runs on YouTube! It might help you get a better grip on the difference between them.

Either way good luck!

It's all about map knowledge. You can explore in Interloper, but that's more for the landscape and natural resources and not the tools. Each map has some locations where a tool can spawn. People know that and beeline for that. That said, a lot of those locations are ones you'd normally visit anyways. Crystal Lake on Timberwolf Mountain has a guaranteed tool (hacksaw, hammer or mag lens). The farm house and the barn in PV have good stuff. In ML it's Trapper's Homestead, Camp Office and the Hydro Dam. In DP it's Hibernia. 

There are also four different loot tables so things can be a bit different each time. I'm not telling you that so you memorize them. Personally I don't as that's too much meta knowledge for me. But it means that in one game you can find some great stuff in the Qonset Garage and in another you don't. The chance for a Qonset hacksaw is actually 50%. There is also a good chance for a heavy hammer on the map. And maybe even firestriker. But some other maps have more possible spawns.

There are also multiple tools spread around, so you actually end up with multiple hacksaws, hammers and storm lanterns and can leave some in strategic locations. There is really plenty of loot in Interloper with all the maps added. It's just not all in one place like on lower difficulties. As far as natural resources go it's even an overabundance of stuff. Even matches are plentiful enough that you can be somewhat wasteful and still survive for hundreds of days.

Personally I like the TWM start for the loot. Two boxes of matches and a tool. Then off to PV for probably a hacksaw and a hammer. And maybe a bedroll if very lucky. But FM can be good too if you don't directly go to ML, but visit Spence's Farmstead, the Bunk Houses and the High Blind

combat trousers

That's high end clothing on Interloper and an excellent find

Edited by Serenity

6 minutes ago, Serenity said:

It's all about map knowledge. You can explore in Interloper, but that's more for the landscape and natural resources and not the tools. Each map has some locations where a tool can spawn. People know that and beeline for that. That said, a lot of those locations are ones you'd normally visit anyways. Crystal Lake on Timberwolf Mountain has a guaranteed tool (hacksaw, hammer or mag lens). The farm house and the barn in PV have good stuff. In ML it's Trapper's Homestead, Camp Office and the Hydro Dam. In DP it's Hibernia. 

There are also four different loot tables so things can be a bit different each time. I'm not telling you that so you memorize them. Personally I don't as that's too much meta knowledge for me. But it means that in one game you can find some great stuff in the Qonset Garage and in another you don't. The chance for a Qonset hacksaw is actually 50%. There is also a good chance for a heavy hammer on the map. And maybe even firestriker. But some other maps have more possible spawns.

There are also multiple tools spread around, so you actually end up with multiple hacksaws, hammers and storm lanterns and can leave some in strategic locations. There is really plenty of loot in Interloper with all the maps added. It's just not all in one place like on lower difficulties. As far as natural resources go it's even an overabundance of stuff.

Personally I like the TWM start for the loot. Two boxes of matches and a tool. Then off to PV for probably a hacksaw and a hammer. And maybe a bedroll if very lucky. But FM can be good too if you don't directly go to ML, but visit Spence's Farmstead, the Bunk Houses and the High Blind

That's high end clothing on Interloper and an excellent find

One of the unsuccessful runs I've started at TWM ....no tool at Crystal Lake.

That's why I went to PV and found nothing at the barn :( and died soon after :)

The mountaineering hut has a guaranteed box of matches. And between it and the fishing hut you are guaranteed either a hacksaw, a hammer, a mag lens or a storm lantern. Some of them may be more useful than others at that point, but one is always there

In PV there is a chance for a bedroll in the Mystic Falls Picnic cave. The barn doesn't always have a tool, but there is a chance for either a hammer or a hacksaw. The farmstead basement usually has either a hacksaw, hammer or mag lens. Only one of the four loot tables does not have a hacksaw between those two.

In general hacksaws aren't that difficult to find. A bedroll can sometimes be a bit tricky if you're unlucky. Going without one is frustrating, but you can work around it.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1