Black Powder weapons

FuriousTemper

I tried to look through the forums to see if there is a suggestion about this but didn't see any.

Anyhow, I would love the devs to add black powder weapons into the game. I think there is good potential for some spare time tinkering with these weapons added, since one could for example; hunt for the parts, melt lead into balls over camp fire, craft wooden flint from the tinder that is everywhere but useless past early game. Also, I think a lot of  required mechanics are in the game already, so implementing this should not be a problem (I say this with zero knowledge about making games).

Furthermore, I would argue that black powder weapons (mainly thinking equivalents for the rifle and revolver) would be a good balancing for those who like the guns but who feel they take away from the overall difficulty too much.  For example: You could make the case that ammunition would be easier to obtain for a musket but it is less suitable for actual combat or self defense.  This would make the player consider what to bring into a hunting trip for example. Choosing musket hunting in Mystery Lake versus Bleak Inlet makes a difference in whether you are going to have a good or a bad day.

One could also add an option to choose black powder weapons exclusively or with modern guns in the game setup.

Anyway the setting is perfect for such majestic weapons and would look, sound and feel very nice I'm sure. Hell, throw in raccoons for coonskin cap crafting and then you would get a proper Davy Crockett experience.

That's all from me, thanks again for the great game

pbox_php.thumb.jpg.b1f3493c5f6f007159d575845c2b0d92.jpg

Edited by FuriousTemper
Spelling fixes

I love this idea!   To be realistic you'd need to find pipe and maybe some other pieces around like wire and scrap wood.   Then you'd need to find a sapling to make a ram rod lead wheel weights from the cars to melt for projectiles and cloth for wadding.       Then inside mines there could be some raw minerals needed to make the black powder.  You'd need to use deer hide to make a satchel for carrying your powder, patches and balls.

At the end of all this work you'd have a working muzzle loading flintlock that would be good for hunting deer.   If you had a heavy hammer or hatchet and stones you could also use it as a shotgun for rabbit hunting!

I would totally love this idea!!!

Also should add that if you can make black powder you can use match heads to rebuild primers and potentially reload your 303 rifle cartridges.  They won't be as powerful but at the ranges you have to be at in the game to hunt I don't think it would be a problem.

2 hours ago, Mrcpu said:

I love this idea!   To be realistic you'd need to find pipe and maybe some other pieces around like wire and scrap wood.   Then you'd need to find a sapling to make a ram rod lead wheel weights from the cars to melt for projectiles and cloth for wadding.       Then inside mines there could be some raw minerals needed to make the black powder.  You'd need to use deer hide to make a satchel for carrying your powder, patches and balls.

At the end of all this work you'd have a working muzzle loading flintlock that would be good for hunting deer.   If you had a heavy hammer or hatchet and stones you could also use it as a shotgun for rabbit hunting!

I would totally love this idea!!!

Also should add that if you can make black powder you can use match heads to rebuild primers and potentially reload your 303 rifle cartridges.  They won't be as powerful but at the ranges you have to be at in the game to hunt I don't think it would be a problem.

I did not even think about building the gun from scratch but it sounds cool and definitely would add a lot stuff to do in the game which, while being great, lacks that end game focus and activity in my opinion.

As to how deep in you'll get in realism is up to the devs, but I'd be alright using the gun powder already existing in game, as that takes away work load from programming and testing. But as you pointed out, a few more resources would get more utility like saplings and cloth which always is a good things. Also I like the idea of crafted pouch for balls and powder! One could also add a possibility for the "wet" status in this to impact the powder carried.

As for the guns themselves, my vision was maybe an display case in a old mansion or a long forgotten mine that has actual black powder weapons from that era left behind for some reason. This I think is just a cosmetic touch, since for as long as there is the satisfying trademark bang and a lot of smoke, then I'm a happy hunter.

On 3/14/2021 at 12:40 AM, Willy Pete said:

I'm going to start this off by saying that as the game currently stands weapon balance is perfect and we don't need any new weapons (besides the bear spear). However, either of these two items would satisfy a desire to fill up slots on the weapons wheel and so I'll make an argument for them to be added. Both of these weapons would be rare, maybe even rarer than the distress pistol with select, hard-to-reach locations as spawns.

First up: the muzzleloader. I've seen posts about this one before and while they never really struck my fancy, I do think it could have a place among the other weapons in the game. At its core, the muzzleloader would consume gunpowder and bullets in order to fire, not requiring cases like the other two firearms. This would make it somewhat more lucrative at lower levels when your gunsmithing skills aren't quite up to par yet.

To give it a stand-out place among the other weapons, the muzzleloader would be loaded from the menu, requiring X number of minutes to load (this time requirement would decrease as skill with it increased). It would deal more damage and have a faster bleed-out time than the rifle, but it would also degrade much faster and consume slightly more gunpowder per shot than crafting rifle cartridges. It would weigh 1-2 kgs more and to top it off, could only be fired from the standing position (until level 5) and regardless of level prevent movement when sighted in. Accuracy would be slightly lower than the rifle.

Second: a single-barrel hunting shotgun. I posted about this once before and while I'll admit it didn't fit in then, it could have a place now after the gunsmithing update. How, you might ask? By making shotgun shells non-reloadable and have them decay over time like flare rounds do. Once the shells decay you can still harvest them for powder (and bullets for slug rounds), but they can't be fired thus rendering the shotgun useless for anything outside of scrap.

I think it would be harder to implement than the muzzleloader, at least with the option to have buckshot, slugs, and maybe birdshot. Overall, it would be a slow-firing but versatile weapon with a potential for high damage. Accuracy would be lower than the rifle, but not ridiculously so.

This from another thread, he makes great remarks on implementing gun damage and integrating black powder weapons with the Gunsmithing skill.

• Like 1