Tarp Crafting

Derek0311

Can we be able to make a tarp from cloth?  Let’s pick a random number, like 15.  Then a snow shelter can be made with the tarp and sticks.  Now I can head out into the world and have something more dedicated to shelter building.

I’d also like to be able to replace the snow shelter with the tarp shelter.  However, I would like you to be able to add snow to the top of the shelter, thereby bringing back the snow shelter.  Now, you have more options.  Do you want to improve your shelter to make it more insulated or do you want your tarp to degrade at a slower rate with no snow on it?

Edited by Derek0311
Follow on idea
  • Upvote 2

I recommend using the search function, as there has been a lot of really good discussion in previous threads about alternative snow shelters.

Apart from that, tarpaulin (that is if you are referring to what we commonly think of as a tarp these days)... is usually polyurethane and I think would require more processioning/manufacturing technique than a person would reasonably be able to do in the situation our survivors are in.  So, I don't think "crafting" a tarp would make much sense in this context.

As for alternative snow shelters... again I suggest using the search function, we've had a lot of good conversations about it.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Fair enough...  I suppose a survivor might try to soak canvas in a waxy solution to help make it water resistant (or by some other means native to the area).  That would certainly achieve what you were aiming at in a way that wouldn't feel too contrived, I suppose.  I also suppose, that a it would also be reasonable for a character to simply be able find a tarp.

As for alternative snow shelters, I'm not really in favor of it... but I do understand the rational.
I'll echo what I've mentioned in previous threads:

On 8/12/2020 at 4:23 AM, ManicManiac said:

I think both ideas (tents or "improved" snow-shelters) would only serve to make the game easier for the player... and I'm generally not in favor of most things that would make the game easier.

We already have very habitable caves and we have snow-shelters for those who don't mind sacrificing cloth.  We also have hollowed out trees... so between all of that, I think we have plenty of good options for shelter without making things too easy on us.

:coffee::fire:
so for me... Tents or Improved Snow-shelters?  No thank you.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:06 AM, ManicManiac said:

We already have snow shelters in the game, so while I suppose this might be neat... I just don't see it as necessary as we have something to cover this functionality in the game already.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:32 AM, ManicManiac said:

While being able to build more types of shelters might seem like it would be a nice touch, I don't see much gameplay value since we have options that address those aspects.  I'm good with our snow shelters, caves, and various other means of shelter (be they manmade or improvised).

On 6/19/2019 at 7:16 PM, ManicManiac said:

I was just putting forth the idea that snow shelters themselves are more of a safety net for players in the early game (when cloth is plentiful anyway).  I was suggesting that by late game a successful survivor (by and large) knows the lay of the land, and knows how to use the wind-breaks, caves, and structures a lot better.  This minimizes the need for a safety net (a.k.a. snow shelters) :) 

At the same time I was expressing wariness about introducing a lot of "easily sustainable" solutions... part of what I love most about this game is that sense of struggle.  Knowing our resources will eventually run out, so we have to be wise and metered in how we use them.  I never want to feel "safe" in this game... we already have a lot of renewable resources and sustainable systems in the game, and I'm just expressing concern of there eventually being too many.

I mean we already have players capable to surviving for 10 in-game years... which tells me the existing systems are more than adequate.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:20 AM, ManicManiac said:

I prefer the snow-shelter the way it is.  What's proposed only serves to make things easier for the player, and I'm generally not in favor of things that make life easier for the player.

As it stands, I think we have plenty of options for shelter in the game (be they man made, caves, ruined cabins, barns, outbuildings... in other words many kind of "interior" and "exterior" types of shelters).  I like that the snow-shelter doesn't seem to be intended as a permanent solution, but rather more for emergency or short duration.  I also love that no mater what if we choose to use a snow-shelter, we will loose some cloth (that is to say we can't just recover all our resources if we just plop one down and break it down the next morning).  This characteristic means we must make a commitment of resources if we really think it's necessary.

I think that making what is essentially just an "over powered" version of a snow-shelter would take away from what I love about the game.  To that I say, no thank you.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac