Day 91, it has been hard.

peteloud

I have now reached Day 91 in my WE, Pleasant Valley, (advanced) start.  It has been tough.

PV was very cold, especially with my start-up clothing and lowest skill levels.  It was a struggle to survive.  Even when I managed to kill something for food, completely harvesting it without freezing was almost impossible.  It took me ages to find weapons, hacksaw & knife.  I didn't find an axe until I left PV.  I did manage to kill a couple of bears in PV but they had to harvested in multiple sessions to avoid my freezing.  I was particularly keen to get some bear hides to make a bearskin coat, but forgot where I left one of the bear skins to cure and have not been able to find it. 

Eventually I thought it better to get out of PV until I found an axe and increased my skill levels.  So I went to Mystery Lake which was much easier.  That gave me a chance to improve my skills and clothes. That enabled me to briefly return to PV to have another look for the missing bearskin, which I still couldn't find. I also had a trip to the TWM Mountaineers Hut hoping to find some high-value loot there. I didn't, so immediately returned to PV and ML.

By then I had clothes that gave me a 20° temperature bonus and some skills around level 3. At this point I was almost out of ammunition so I decided to head for Bleak Inlet.  I got as far as The Ravine.  There the weather was worse than PV.  It was a full time job just staying alive in the almost constant blizzard. I had to race out grab wood, dash back warm up.  When warm dash out again hoping to kill a deer then race back just before freezing to death as I harvested some meat. Then I had to burn the fire for hours on end to keep warm.  Surviving there was so difficult I was unable to build up the stock of food, even after a few days there, before going down the rope to the lower cave and on to BI.  So I had to scrap that idea and head for Coastal Highway.

CH was almost comfortable.  The weather hasn't been bad and here I have found enough Ketchup Chips to feed an army.  I even killed a bear and picked up a second bearskin.  (Throughout the game I have wounded quite a few wolves, deer and bear but the conditions were so cold that I wasn't able to get out and find the carcass.)

My Skill Levels are now mostly 3 & 4, but none at 5.  My clothing temperature bonus is now at 24°.  I am not sure what my next move should be, to Riken to make arrowheads, BI for ammunition or sit tight in comfort in CH or ML and improve my skills ans clothes.

I have only found 3 or 4 syrups throughout the whole game. Now I wonder is there a container full of bottles pf syrup in TWM.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1