Small birds

Hotzn

Not sure whether this has been wished for already in the past, I searched for the keyword 'birds' and nothing specific came up. So...

I would like to see the occasional small bird in the game. Somewhere in the past, someone has wished for a shotgun and birds which can be shot down for food, but that is not what I have in mind. Just a little bird that flies by, maybe from a bush to the edge of the roof of a cottage, looking around and singing a little bit, then moving on. Not to be interacted with. Like an icon of levity and hope, a moment of encouragement. It should only appear during good weather and in the absence of danger (meaning predators).

Now some people may say that everything in the game should have some kind of use/interaction, and indeed I dimly recall @Raphael van Lierop saying or writing (please forgive me if my memory deceives me) that 'everything is a mechanic'. While this may be interpreted in different ways, I understood it in a way that everything needs to have some simple interaction/use. For example, if you introduce bark then it needs to be collectible and useful to make something out of it, be it food, equipment or whatever. And I disagree here. In my view, everything is an experience, and if there is something in a game which evokes strong feelings then it does not have to have any use or interaction. Sometimes I am more mesmerized by intangible things in this game - a sound, the feeling of isolation, or of security when a fire is blazing in the oven of my cottage and a blizzard howling outside - than by finding a useful item. And such a little bird would be just the thing for me. When I am in a snowy environment and see such a little bird, I am always touched somehow, and reminded of Spring (on whose coming the life of the little bird must rely more heavily than the bear sleeping in its cave).

Well, maybe it's just me, and I got carried away. Just putting this out there as one more among a gazillion ideas. ;) 

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 2