First Loper Attempt: Not a Complete Disaster

Martin Prchal

So after 200 days in my Voyager run and completing a few challenges, I started feeling a bit cocky. I wanted something harder, so I decided to try Interloper. I spawned in HRV at the point where you can cross the river close to the ice cave under the falls. I booked it straight out to Milton, where I spent the night in Gray Mother's house. The next day, I looted Milton (spending a lot of time in cars hiding from wolves) and spent the night in Orca. I woke up bright and early and ran to Trapper's where I spent the rest of the day murdering the local rabbits to get some guts and hides, as well as cooking up some reishi and rose hips. The next day I looted the Camp Office, all the cabins around the lake, and the fishing huts. I wanted to go up the Forestry Lookout in the evening, but wolves chased me back and was not feeling very brave. The next morning I went up to the lookout, then ran down to the logging camp and the Carter Dam. The following morning I ran through the ravine, and ended up pinned down by a blizzard in the cabin by the campground. The next day I got through the Fishing Camp, Jackrabbit, and Misanthropes, where my rabbit murdering spree continued. I was going to go the Waterfront Cottages but they all looked burned down from my vantage point and I did not want to run there only to run back, so I staying in Misanthropes. So now I am sitting in Misanthropes after 7 days with a few days of food along with 50 cattails, guts, saplings and rabbit hides in a few places ready to craft, a hammer and metal in the trailer by the dam. The only important thing I am missing at the moment is a bedroll, but I am not really planning on sleeping in caves any time soon. I am really proud of myself because I have managed my first Interloper week without a single wolf struggle! I am planning on finishing my looting in CH, then move on to PV, after which I will return to the dam ready to forge. After the forge, the summit awaits. 

Now that I wrote this, I know that all the wolves from DP to TWM will come after me as I try to loot Quonset. :) 

Nicely done. First Loper game is always memorable.

Well done moving and looting, that's a good technique in early Loper. Once you get some better clothing and have a bow, you can settle down a bit and loot everything you missed. I'm not sure I would hit Quonset this early, it's pretty risky with low armor rating and no weapon. One wolf in early Loper and you're usually done. They aren't like Stalker wolves. The main thing in this mode is to get armed as soon as possible, and craft protective clothing asap after that. To that end, I would have kept the hammer and continued on to DP. You have all the coal and metal (provided you have a hacksaw) that you will need for forging already in that region, and it's a little easier to deal with than Spence's. Make sure to have snowshelter material on you since you don't have a bedroll yet, getting cabin fever with no bedroll is no fun.

Good luck with your run! I always love reading about first Loper experiences.

Thanks, I think I will need that luck sooner than I thought. I just got caught at the PV farmstead with 50 percent cabin fever and no bedroll. I guess I will go and check the nearby caves and then build a snow shelter if none of them has a bedroll. Still no wolf attack though, its weird seeing almost no wolves or any other animals on the map.

A great spot for the snowshleter at the Farmhouse is out back where the fire pit is. You can position that thing right between the benches so you can stay warm by the fire, and it won't blow out even in a blizzard. 

As far as likely places for the bedroll near you, it can spawn at the cave in Winding River, and it can spawn in the cave near the climb to TWM. Couldn't hurt to check the Barn as well, there's usually good stuff in there. I can't remember where else I've found it in PV.

Be careful, the wolves are out there! If you took the road down from the mine all the way to the Farmhouse, it's possible to get lucky and miss the 3 or so wolf routes that you would cross. A bear likes to patrol right by the Farmhouse too.