Thoughts on secret places

Edrick

So after about 20 days of surviving and exploring the more remote parts of the Mystery Lake map, I stumble upon the bunker for the first time. I’m of course very happy to find it, especially since I’ve already looted all the other places. (Though I have yet to cross the ravine to reach the Coastal Town map.)

But immediately I wonder: does it make much sense to build a bunker there, in this case at the top end of a steep slope? Wouldn’t it be more realistic if it were located right where one could actually unload the building materials and supplies from a truck or cart? It kind of breaks immersion the way it is.

Since the developers are still experimenting with the map arrangements, I would suggest having bunkers in far-off places which could nonetheless be reached by trucks or carts. One could even imagine having a whole separate map (only accessible through one or two of the other maps) that is just one big wilderness but contains a single bunker. One that has enough stuff to allow for weeks of survival, but that is so remote and hard to find that it would be a very risky undertaking for anyone to seek it out – though the way to it might be marked in very subtle manners.

I also had an idea for another type of secret place. Imagine entering a cabin where, as you comb it for loot, you hear a louder creak than usual from the floorboards as you step on one of the rugs. You cast it aside and behold! there is a trapdoor under it, with stairs leading down to a cellar filled with goodies. Perhaps it’s even a full-fledged prepper’s hide-out, with stove and bed as well. (A stove that is lined with the chimney of the house.)

And with any such secret place, made by preppers and the like, locks or in some cases even booby-traps might be expected.

I wasn't arguing against placing bunkers in remote and hard to find places. I was arguing against putting them in implausible places. My point was that somebody had to build those bunkers and that some of the locations would have us believe that some poor sod hauled loads of concrete, steel and provisions up a steep slope.

Archived