Surviving the Game: Home Front for TLD

Kessa

Simply put, how do you plan on playing the game?

I'm not talking survival strategies, I mean, do you plan on donning your survival gear every time you step into the simulator? Do you want that immersion? Will you have your children holding ice packs against your shins while your wife or husband, boyfriend or girlfriend serves you raw meat? As physically discomforted as the main player will be which could hone only the truest of answers to those difficult game events.

Or will you provide yourself worldly comforts to remind yourself that there's something for you to love for and that you've struggled to keep. That you won't shed convenience merely to make yourself physically uncomfortable as the game challenges your fundamental morals

Personally, an ideal day of game play is in a chilled setting. I like my house about 18 C. If it's raining, even better, though I'm not likely to hear it over the sound track. I'd wear sweats and would drink a hot mug of tea that week probably need to be reheated as I forget myself in TLD's environment. I'll probably prop my laptop on my lap while I snuggle up in bed. Unless my new apartment has the gaming den I want, then I'll play on the couch in there.

I'm moving shortly and will have a room specifically for my gaming stuff which means, I'll be playing with my 5.1 headset, probably on the projector, in the dark for the best possible effect. I won't forego the comforts of modern society for it though, but will play as immersively as possible. I've been cold to the bone before and it's no fun...

I live alone, so I can do as I please, which means: laptop, external display, curtains and blinds closed, lights off. That's usually very effective. When I played Silent Hill 2, I almost fell from the chair when the (real) mailman dropped the mail through the slot in the door (which is behind me when I'm playing). And if I get really unlucky, I may get to experience the game with real hypothermia as my "inner thermostat" goes haywire occasionally.

Archived