Critter Behaviour

Kilkegard

I've got two critter mysteries in Mystery Lake.  There is a deer outside the Lake Office who is sometimes there, sometimes not.   Thing is when it's not there I cant figure out where it went.  And there is a lone wolf at the southern side of Mystery Lake by the burnt out cabin who does the same thing, sometimes there, sometimes not.  The deer disappears for days at a time.  And the wolf, saw him one day, went back the next with the rifle to take care of him but he wasn't there.  I spent what was about 6 in game hours chopping wood and collecting sticks with nary a sign.  Seriously, I was expecting to be attacked at any time.  Turns out I don't see the wolf again for about a three or four days before it disappears again.

I can only guess that there is some subtle change to animal roaming habits with the last update maybe.  I also notice that when I shoot, but don't kill, a wolf or deer that they seem to run away in a straighter path instead of more crazy zig zaging I had seen in the past.

Anyone else noticing any thing else like this?  Or maybe I'm just noticing a normal variation that I didn't pick up on before?

One other note, with wolf fear at high, I think I've seen my first wolf run in fright.  The wolf was kind of far (quite a bit further than other wolves I shoot unawares) but it looked at me and then yelped and ran off a short ways before returning to his patrol in Broken Railroad.  

From my observation all creatures have places where they spawn. 

Looking at custom settings there are three different settings that affect spawns-

Spawn chance- probably a percentage chance to determine if the creature spawns at all.

Wildlife Repawn Frequency- probably a time based check if the spawn chance should be called.

Reduce wildlife population over time- probably a reduction of the amount of creatures that should spawn or a reduction of the spawn chance or maybe even increases the respawn frequency.

Blizzards cause wildlife to despawn as well as just resting over a certain amount of time. So it is random and if no predators are there then then be happy and if a deer is there then don't waste the opportunity :)

Wildlife has always ran in a straight path until it runs into something then it runs off in a random direction. Just bouncing off stuff until it reaches its predetermined distance it should run.

As for the wolf. Perhaps after it finished being scared you were outside its detection range?

Archived