Giving tinder different values

Suiway

It drives me completely insane that your fire source and your fuel source alter your chance of starting a fire but for some reason all the different types of tinder are all the exactly the same beyond weight values. PLEASE can we have different values for different types of tinder? As it is now every single type of tinder beyond the basic tinder bundle is completely useless, they add nothing but weight and a visual change. Every single playthrough I've ever had at every single difficulty level I have ended up with a giant pile of useless cat tail heads right outside my front door. I would really like a *reason* to seek out birch bark or cat tail heads or keep newspapers as is rather than break them down. With the current system I have absolutely no reason to ever carry anything more than a few basic tinder bundles, every other kind I find goes in the 'garbage pile' of random crap I'll never need. Seriously, what is the point of having multiple types of tinder if none of them have any unique value beyond weight?

Agreed. I think the "higher tier" tinder should be the stuff you can break into tinder plugs. Newsprint and rolls for example or birch bark, ought to give a fairly small, but worthwhile firestarting boost. Adding a choice to the player, break them down for additional plugs, or use as is for additional fire-starting chance. (like a 5% or something)

I agree with this...

Others have also suggested that after firestarting lv3, when you no longer require tinder to start a fire, choosing to use tinder anyway should yield like a +5 firestarting bonus...

Currently tinder has no real value after lv3....

It's a shame....and doesn't really make sense to me....

Agreed. So using the "high quality" tinder would increase that fire starting bonus even further if used at lvl 3+

But there are a lot of times where the extra bonus to fire starting would be useless/not needed. As such, perhaps an initial fire warmth bonus and/or length bonus may be a better option.

So for high tier tinder +% fire starting bonus. For low tier like tinder plugs and cat tail, no bonus but at lvl 3 firestarting skill, initial temp bonus and maybe 5 mins added to initial fire duration (or maybe 15-20% reduced fire lighting/starting time).

Different values would sure add something to tinder collection. I'm always bemused as to, if tinder is so good for starting fires that you initially can't do with out it, why can't you choose to start a fire with three or four pieces of tinder to up your chances? Anyone who's built a fire knows the tricky bit is getting the really flammable tinder, that burns out fast, to 'catch' the longer burning stuff that needs more heat/time.

Archived