Devious Desolation Point Wolf

MrWolf

I assume most regular players know of the wolf in the cave in Desolation Point.  I'll put the rest of this in a spoiler tag in case you're not familiar with this wolf and want to discover the rest on your own.

I always enter the cave with a lit torch and when I reach the room that splits into two passageways, I start a fire at the entrance to the left one to keep the wolf contained.  On rare occasions, the wolf isn't there and I can explore its den and harvest a deer carcass or two.  I've done that a few times in the past, but only once since Vigilant Flame.  This time the wolf came home. 

I lit the fire at the entrance to the left passageway and normally I'll hear the wolf yelp and run away as the fire gets going, or just after.  This time I heard nothing.  I walked up the right passageway to check for anything useful.  At the top, I still hadn't heard the wolf.  I lit an extra torch, threw it down into the wolf's area, and nothing.  No sounds except for the torch bouncing around.

I walked back down to the fire, held my breath, and proceeded into the wolf's den.  No one was home.  I walked around the perimeter and found the corpse that had fallen down from above and found two deer carcasses in the middle of the large room.  I started a fire next to one of the carcasses (good thing) and started harvesting.  The first time I did something that passed time - harvesting the meat in this case - the wolf appeared.  It was scared of the fire and never stopped yelping and running around the room, sometimes right through me and the fire.  It was nerve-racking, to say the least.  

I took a torch from the fire, moved a little ways away, started another fire, and repeated until I could make it out of the passageway.

If you enter the cave and the wolf isn't home, be ready for it to return if you do something that passes the time!   

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a wolf appear inside if it wasn't already there. It's possible it did this, or that it was just in the cave somewhere elase and wandering around and coincidentally discovered you as soon as you started harvesting the deer's carcass. Pretty neat overall.

Archived