Making annotations on the map

Luciën

I have recently started a new play and I must say I am solely orientating on what I see rather than what I am mapping.
As you might have read elsewhere I am fond of the first person exploring dungeon game 'Ultima Underworld' from 1993 or so. In that game you could pencil down your own remarks at your map.

Talking about The Long Dark, I could totally imagine penning things like 'spare outfit and 20 bottles of water' or 'match extravaganza' on my map in stead or in addition to keeping my journal up to date.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I’d be happy if you could just find various colored push-pins somewhere and then poke them into your map. Then you can designate your own meaning to each color and mark all sorts of useful things! Green could be “stockpile I left behind”, blue could be “indoor stove”, red could be “spotted a bear here”, etc.

I guess, whatever works best for most players. I like writing things down, not just in games. With pushpin I would want to make a legenda (or whatever that is in English) to describe the meaning on the map.
In the system you're describing, I would need like 45 different colours pushpins ;) Imagine that list...
It's all down to personal preference I guess.

• 1 month later...
Guest Gamer935
On 24/08/2018 at 1:41 AM, WanderingPalm said:

Personally, I’d be happy if you could just find various colored push-pins somewhere and then poke them into your map. Then you can designate your own meaning to each color and mark all sorts of useful things! Green could be “stockpile I left behind”, blue could be “indoor stove”, red could be “spotted a bear here”, etc.

Very cool idea and in real life normally push pins come in like little boxes of about 20 so obviously may be a bit rare 

Archived