Crafting suggestions.

ajb1978

My grand wish list item for crafting is to be able to craft any article of clothing using any animal hide, with benefits/drawbacks according to the material used.  Rabbitskin would be light, but not very durable or warm.  Bear would be exceptionally durable and warm, but heavy.  Bearskin boots, rabbitskin coats, deerskin hats!  A rabbitskin fanny pack for +1kg carry, just to take the edge off, or full-on moosehide for that sweet +5.

The other suggestion is to be able to take a tinder item and an accelerant and combine them, for a prepared tinder item that also grants an increased chance to start a fire.  Perhaps 2 tinder plugs or birch bark, and 1 can of accelerant or .3L oil, yields 2 volatile tinder, which serves as your tinder item with +10% to start a fire.  Can help with weight management. 

I was just thinking of my bug-out bag, where I have an Altoids tin containing cotton balls saturated with vaseline for emergency fire starters.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than combining the tinder and accelerant, why not give different fire starting bonuses to different tiner options? For example, maybe cat tails only give you a base level of starting a fire, with birch bark being 2% more than base, paper being a 5% greater than base chance, rolled paper 7% and an actual tinder plug would give you a 10% greater chance of starting a fire than the cat tail option. This would also still allow tinder to matter when you move beyond the need to have it for starting fires. You may not need it, but it will get the fire started faster. 

Archived