True free roaming?

speef22

Hello all, so I hope i haven't missed this discussion already somewhere, and I apologize if I have, but I would like to know if the game-world in TLD is completely free roaming, like say Minecraft or Fallout 3/NV? Or is it an open world like Borderlands or Dragon Age where it looks and feels open world but you are funneled down certain paths? Thanks for the replies! Looking forward to TLD big time! :D

-Jason

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hinterland

Hello, and thanks for your question! I'd say the game is a bit of a hyrbid of Fallout 3 and Borderlands, in term of the open-ness of the world. Internally we think more of how STALKER used very large region maps that were linked by travel portals. We're after the impression and illusion of a large connected world, vs. a big streaming open world like you see in Red Dead Redemption or GTA4 -- huge budget productions that have the resources to create massive worlds.

In terms of the gameplay structure, the Survival mode will be pretty open-ended, while the Story mode will offer some more directed objective-based gameplay to support the narrative intent.

Hope that helps answer your question!

Hello, and thanks for your question! I'd say the game is a bit of a hyrbid of Fallout 3 and Borderlands, in term of the open-ness of the world. Internally we think more of how STALKER used very large region maps that were linked by travel portals. We're after the impression and illusion of a large connected world, vs. a big streaming open world like you see in Red Dead Redemption or GTA4 -- huge budget productions that have the resources to create massive worlds.

In terms of the gameplay structure, the Survival mode will be pretty open-ended, while the Story mode will offer some more directed objective-based gameplay to support the narrative intent.

Hope that helps answer your question!

That answers my question wonderfully, thank you! I am excited to hear that it will have some open-ness to it but also glad to have the knowledge of what to expect. Makes forming those always created excitement expectations that you have when you are looking forward to a new game more realistic and therefore less likely to be more than what is true, a.k.a not over hyped and therefore missing expectations. Let's hope that The Long Dark allows you at Hinterland to reach that level of production scale to create a truly open, streaming and living world! :D I can only imagine what you guys and gals could do with that sort of production level! Thanks again for the well written reply!

Archived