Smoke huts

milasdavid

Smoke huts?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, seriously. I know a lot of folks around here wished the game would stay as simple as possible, but I think this would be an awesome achievement. Here's how I imagine it.

The smoke hut will allow you to dry massive amounts of meat for long-term storage and portability. As someone who grew up on The Oregon Trail (back when it took two floppy discs to load the whole thing), it's always bugged me how much meat I waste in TLD. The hut will be very resource intensive, requiring more animal skins than anything else we've crafted. The amount of planning and resources invested to pull off a smoker session will be epic. Since meat will need to be dried for several days, you'll need massive amounts of firewood on hand, as well as extra food and water for yourself prepared ahead of time so that you can tend the smoker. While using the smoke hut, every wolf in the area will come to check it out, meaning you'll have to pretty much camp out and stay awake for 2 days straight if you don't want your hut to get wrecked and your meat stolen. So you'll probably need some coffee on hand. There's a fair chance you'll get wrecked if you don't do everything right.

The payoff? A couple of months worth of portable, nearly scentless, ready to eat meals so you can fill up your moose satchel, throw on your bear jacket, and do some reeeaal exploring. It'll probably only be achievable for those who are doing runs that are hundreds of days long.

I wouldn´t make this a "craftable" but rather a "findeable" spot on the world map (e.g. similar to forge). Like some abandoned meat dry house.

It should have certain capacities (10 to 20 kg?) for meat being dried at once. It could also be used to speed up the drying process of guts and hides. It should require you to have cooking level 5 though so that you are not able to immediatly run this thing. As some kind of balancing factor. Just suggesting though

7 hours ago, TerribleSurvivor said:

I wouldn´t make this a "craftable" but rather a "findeable" spot on the world map (e.g. similar to forge). Like some abandoned meat dry house.

It should have certain capacities (10 to 20 kg?) for meat being dried at once. It could also be used to speed up the drying process of guts and hides. It should require you to have cooking level 5 though so that you are not able to immediatly run this thing. As some kind of balancing factor. Just suggesting though

Yeah, there needs to be something to keep you from using it immediately.

I've thought about curing/drying meat multiple times. My thinking led me to something smaller and craftable, that you could throw up indoors to speed the curing of hides and gut. It could be used for meat as well. It wouldn't be realistic for meat to dry without a heat source, but nothing in TLD is 100% accurate.

Also, what about salt? You could find it as loot in kitchens or indoor locations, or create it by boiling sea water. Salt could cure the raw meat.

Salt curing sounds pretty awesome. I love the idea of collecting it from seawater since that could be a dangerous job if you have to go out to the edge of the ice. Maybe you would have to walk until you get a thin ice warning, back up a smidge, and chop a hole.

I'd still prefer the smoke huts to be craftable, since it adds to the air of self-sufficiency and makes it feel like a larger achievement.

Archived