Possible ideas

Unknownghost227

I want to put this out there so that there is little to no confusion on my background.  In total I have only survived maybe 100 days on Voyager, nothing on any other difficulty.  I have absolutely little to no experience.  The wipes that I have had were due to permanent damage of frostbite, or mismanagement of temperature gauge and not sure of how it worked.  That being said at least for voyager I am pretty confident, and this is also where I think most of the average casual players are.

So my ideas for things that Hinterland could implement, some of which they kind of started with in their May Diary update:

1. The ability to craft and build structures in the wild from the large firewood branches.  It could either be built in part or whole, almost kind of how Fortnite does their building, but without the comic feel and insane speed that they do. You could build basic huts or hunter's blinds maybe, but put them in locations much like the snow shelter.  I think that by doing this a player could use extra fur that they have.  Maybe it is me and my lack of time, but once I have one of each of the craft-able animal items, there's no incentive to make more, so long as I keep it repaired and don't lose to a bear. 

2. Deep snow.  Add a mechanic that after a blizzard the area affected will have "deep snow" much like there is "weak ice".  The player will move say 20% slower or something when walking through this snow.  

3. In addition to the above mentioned, more craft-able items such as snow shoes to use to walk across the deep snow, or speed up walk speed overall.  The spear was one idea teased in the May Diary update which I think is really cool as either a stab feature or throw.  Again, I understand the nature of the game and the lore behind it, and staying with that is important.  

4. Do something with some of the weight limits.  I've noticed that even at bare minimum I am always carrying near absolute max carrying weight (without the weight accessory).  Now the argument could be made that I carry too much.  They are probably right, but having just one hatchet, one knife, one pry-bar, a weapon, water, some food, some healing, and mostly clothes and that is easily 80% of the items on me.  Not to mention any matches and items as such.  I know to stay with the realism of the game the weight can't be altered too much, but possibly lower the values of some items, maybe water or something. I only state this because if a player is expected to bring pots and pans around with them to cook, it is more weight added. 

Please let me know what you think.  Like I said I have a very limited amount of time played.  I have watched a lot of videos of players such as Hadrian doing his Survival School series, but actual game time and experience is limited.  Thanks for reading : )

1. We currently have the ability to build a snow fort of sorts out of 5 cloth and 15 sticks. I dislike it since if you abandon it, it will eventually reach 0% and then you cannot get rid of it. EVER.

As for building new structures, I personally think it's a bad idea because I already can think of a hundred ways to abuse it. It's the main reason they don't allow jumping. It'd simply make it too easy to get outside the map and get around obstacles.

If you game me any sort of structure, I'd build Walls of the structure over and over to funnel wildlife into areas I wanted them. I'd use it to coral wolves inside their spawn areas. I'd use it to get up high and shoot bears. I'd make bridges out of it to get around problems.

No. Really, really bad idea.

2. Hrmmm... Deep Snow. Viable. It may needlessly complicate the game however. When does "deep snow" go away? Perhaps it needs to be more of a set area that is always "deep" and not something at is situational/time dependent.

3. The addition of new equipment that you can craft has always been a good suggestion. It is an easy way to improve the play experience with a minimal amount of coding and time on the part of the developers. That all said, the specifics of "snow shoes" would have to be a matter of game balance at the time they are introduced, if at all.

4. Part of the game is weight/inventory management. Learning what to sacrifice and what to keep and how to create a "base" working area. Your list of equipment is great, if you are moving from one area to another. When in said area, 2/3rd of that can be safely left at base because you rarely use a crowbar. You only need the knife if you are harvesting or battling wolves. The hatchet is only for breaking down raw materials. By sacrificing a few points of heat, I can usually drop Kilograms of weight with the right clothing selection.

On the other hand, I often also sacrifice armor as well.

The point about pots and pans is a good one, however. If they are making cooking "real time" and you need cooking equipment to cook properly, then they are adding to amount of weight that players are expected to carry in order to be "minimally" equipped.

The addition of clothing that adds to your weight limit is one that I have argued for. Cargo Pants, for example, have many pockets. This SHOULD add to your weight limit.

We should be able to sacrifice a shirt slot for a bandolier for storing items for quick use. Hell, both shirt slots if we so desire.

And as silly as it is, I really, really, really want a beer hat so I can store water in it and drink as I walk. Just because it would be funny as HELL.

Archived