Oculus Rift / Vive support

LonelySurvivor

So I been searching the forums about VR support and seems all I can find is that the goal was to have Oculus Rift support by launch. Obviously that did not happen so I was wondering if anyone has any news about that? Has support been dropped? Still a goal and if so any ETA? I could swear the topic was mentioned on some newsletter from 2017 but can't seem to find it so maybe I am dreaming it.

Anyway, if anyone has a link for some comment more recent than 2015 by hinterland please share it or maybe if a community manager reads this he can let us know what is the current status of VR support.

Seems this is the most up to date, from the FAQ (which I think is from 2017, not really sure)

Q: Are you ever going to add multiplayer? How about VR?

A: We’re still focused on making THE LONG DARK the best single-player survival story we can. That said, we’re always looking for ways to make THE LONG DARK experience even more compelling. We think there could be an interesting VR experience set in the world of THE LONG DARK, although we have no illusions of making the entire game playable in VR

Not sure what "entire game" means, I would be happy if only survival mode had VR, don't really care about the story. In any case, "don't wait standing" seems to be the message

I'm pretty sure VR is already possible with several software available on the internet nowadays.
I've already experimented with it 1 year ago. And that was with a smartphone connected to the pc and a BoboVR Z4 (Google cardboard like product).
The most challenging is to get the camera movement working without getting sick. TLD does however look amazing in stereoscopic 3D. :D

Raph added this in a Reddit AMA about a month ago:

VR? "If I can find a locomotion solution that feels good for a game that is 90% about walking around, then I'll consider it. If we do it, it'll be a very specific experience built for that environment, and not a "port" of the game."

On 1/25/2018 at 6:24 PM, Blinkin said:

I'm pretty sure VR is already possible with several software available on the internet nowadays.
I've already experimented with it 1 year ago. And that was with a smartphone connected to the pc and a BoboVR Z4 (Google cardboard like product).
The most challenging is to get the camera movement working without getting sick. TLD does however look amazing in stereoscopic 3D. :D

Probably something like VorpX would work but it never feels the exact same way - although I have to agree that wanting to see TLD in 3D is the reason I was asking for it :)

On 1/28/2018 at 6:03 PM, selfless said:

Raph added this in a Reddit AMA about a month ago:

VR? "If I can find a locomotion solution that feels good for a game that is 90% about walking around, then I'll consider it. If we do it, it'll be a very specific experience built for that environment, and not a "port" of the game."

Thank you for this. Walking is indeed tricky and there will always be people that feel some sort of sickness from VR walking despite the progresses from the DK1 days to the current hardware - I personally still have issues not so much with walking forward but with turning in some games (I tend to use the "snap turning" options when available) but would still love to try it out. Hopefully we will get it someday.

Archived