Calorie usage while sleeping is not displayed correctly

elloco999

When you go to sleep, the interface will tell you how many calories you will use during the time that you sleep. When sleeping during the day this number seems to be accurate but during the night you seem to burn a lot more calories while sleeping than the interface tells you.

Now this may be because at night it's colder so you would burn more calories to keep warm, but the temperature inside the room is always -1 degrees C, both during the day and during the night.

No matter the reason why you seem to burn more calories while sleeping at night, the interface should display the correct amount. Now you may say that's hand holding, but then you shouldn't tell me at all how much calories something takes. Displaying incorrect values is the opposite of hand holding, it's misleading. Or maybe the fact that you use more calories during the night is the bug here, that's also possible.

FORUM ADMIN NOTE: In order to facilitate bug tracking and repairs, the devs need some basic post information provided otherwise these become classified as feedback discussion threads. As such, and so that the Hinterland team can focus on specific bugs reported, this topic is being moved to the Alpha Playtest Feedback section.

Hi,

I had a similiar experiences yesterday with wood foraging. I was rested, well-fed and healthy but I had a lot of raw venison so I needed firewood - a lot. This is why I decided to go foraging for six hours. According to the Interface it would cost me 1800 calories. Since my calorie store was very close to 2500, I thought "hey, no big" ;) and did it. But when I was done my store was down to -250. So instead of 1800 I needed more than 2700.

I agree with elloco999: If the interface doesn't tell you anything about how much calories you will be losing - fine, that will force the player to be careful. But if it tells you how much calories you need, it should not mislead you.

Perhaps it would be even better if the number would be random inside a certain range. For how should anyone be able to calculate beforehand how much calories you will burn during the night.

If the real value would be off 10-20% of the prediction it would make this aspect of the game much less spreadsheet like.

Goes for many other things as well. When you cure a disease, it should not magically heal after 10h, but the hours should be within a huge spread.

I think I figured it out. Last night it happened to me again. I had almost 1000 calories left and went to sleep for 5 hours (costs 425 calories) and woke up with -100 something. But this time I noticed something. While sleeping, my cold meter actually increased and was almost full when I woke up. I think this has to do with the increased calorie usage. When doing something where the interface tells me the cost in calories (like sleeping or foraging) the prediction seems to be correct if I'm not cold or thirsty or tired. But when I'm very cold the number of calories used is much higher.

The problem was that my clothes were insufficient to keep me warm, so I got cold while sleeping and that's what burned up those extra calories. I am of an opinion though that the bed should provide plenty of warmth, but that's another bug I've already posted about.

Archived