SPOILERS INSIDE: Don't read if you haven't finished episode 2... Bugs with hunt and other odd behaviours

the_watdabney

I have almost completed the entirety of episode 2, but there have been issues along the way.  The bear hunt, the burning of the letters quest, and a couple of other random bugs.

The Bear Hunt:  So this had happened twice during the quest.  On my 4th encounter with the bear, around the train tracks between the derailment and the camp office, I had crept up to the bear very close and took a shot.  The bear charged me.  I had enough time to reload and take another shot.  The only thing is there was no gunshot sound, just the screen going blank, the sounds of the bear mauling me start, then the screen comes back as if I was getting up from a mauling.  The sounds of the bear mauling are still occurring, but I'm not seeing the bear.  The rifle has indeed shot because I am down another round of ammo, and I'm bleeding from a chest wound, and my condition had dropped by about 20%, but no clothing is damaged.  I check the status of my quest and it says I had completed another encounter.  I went to the office next to the lake and since it was almost dark, I ate and slept.  I then spent the next day repairing items, boiling water, cooking food and recovering.  The next day I go out looking for the bear again, and the footprints are still there, after a full day and a half, and bad weather heard outside while I spent the day recovering.  I proceed to follow the tracks to near the trailers, just up from the clear cut area.  The bear is there and I again creep up and line up a shot.  I fire and the bear starts charging again.  I again reload and take another shot and the same thing happened as the last encounter.  No gunshot sound, no bear maul animation, just a black screen and the mauling sounds.  I wake up and have to use first aid again for a wound, but no clothing damaged, and about 20% health damage.  The bear is lying dead beside me.  This was encounter 5/6.  I was able to harvest the bear and get the ear, but again was confused at the encounter not working properly.

After the bear was dead, I went to Forlorn Muskeg to complete the quest to destroy the letters.  I had made it all the way to the hatch and it was locked.  I have since spent well over 20 days waiting for an aurora for the hatch to open but it hasn't happened.  I have spent most of the time in the cave next to the waterfall, sleeping for an hour or 2, going outside to check for the aurora, and going back to sleep.  I even went back out to the broken railroad map to the maintenance yard to collect another cache, spent a night there at that building, and still no aurora.  I have been walking all around Muskeg a few times and while there I have encountered only a few rabbits and the bear, but no deer or wolves, even though I can hear wolves howling from time to time.  In 2 weeks time, no other wildlife has appeared and I was almost starving to death.  Finally one day a deer appeared near the radio tower and I went to hunt it.  I missed my shot and the deer ran off and onto the rocks and got stuck.  It was running on what appeared to be a ledge, not moving but still running.  I walked up to it and shot it and harvested it, but was concerned that this behavior needs a fix.  (attached screen cap related)

Another issue I have been experiencing through the entirety of episode 1&2, one which I remember calling to your attention during the past sandbox updates and bug fixes, is the steps to the entrance of the Hydro Dam.  When walking to the doors, it is like there is something stopping forward movement at the top of the stairs and I have to sidestep a few times just to move the last couple of steps to get to the door.  This has also occurred at other stairs throughout the environment, at some locations like the lookout, certain houses in Milton, and other locations in caves and random places around the maps. 

There have also been issues with wolves walking through the buildings in Milton, specifically the church and the credit union.  When walking up to these buildings, I could hear a wolf growling, but couldn't see them.  Just as I'm about to back away, I see a wolf appear through those buildings and attack me.  They didn't walk around the building, they came from inside the building itself, as if they were walking through it like it wasn't even there.  This has happened multiple times in Milton during multiple new games.

I am fairly happy with the way the game has turned out and am satisfied with the game play overall.  I know there will still be things needing ironing out for any new game and hope you folks can work towards these small parts of the game that need attention.  Keep up the great work and thank you for all you do.

screen_(733, -31, 1521)_0a0b70af-f2c6-41fc-98eb-e2bde934f3b9.png

With the first part it seems like you made the shot just as the bear attacked. I have had it happen when wolves have attacked. 

Just with the Aurora thing you need to hand in the Bear quest otherwise the aurora will not appear. I almost did the same thing halfway through the bear quest I went to FM to get into the bunker but after 2-3 days I realised the weather was not changing and probably due to the Bear hunt quest. After I handed it in I got the Aurora back.

21 hours ago, PleXD said:

With the first part it seems like you made the shot just as the bear attacked. I have had it happen when wolves have attacked. 

Just with the Aurora thing you need to hand in the Bear quest otherwise the aurora will not appear. I almost did the same thing halfway through the bear quest I went to FM to get into the bunker but after 2-3 days I realised the weather was not changing and probably due to the Bear hunt quest. After I handed it in I got the Aurora back.

I will try that...  thank you

Archived