Fire Starting with flares and torches

Pasquinel

This has annoyed me for some time. I think there should be a fire starting bonus to using flares and torches that is more realistic.

A flare is a spitting, smoldering inferno and should start most fires with ease. However in the game it's hardly better than a match and less effective than a fire starter.

Torches as well should be more effective it's already a flaming piece of wood... Again it's only slightly better than a match in the game. You could simply lie it on the ground and put your tinder and some sticks on it and there would be a fire in no time.

You know, I kind of agree, except that a match is much more manoueverable under a small pile of tinder without disrupting it and knocking it sideways. A torch or flare, while already burning, would be much harder to get underneath it.

Sure, you probably don't need much, if any, tinder if using a flare or a torch with plenty of burn time left. They last much longer than matches and are already burning hot as you point out. I haven't checked the specific in-game values, but it would make sense if not using tinder with a flare/torch increased the odds slightly vs using tinder.

Archived