Want to fight a wolf? Go to sleep outside

Trandor

Wolves attack animals that are sick, too old, too young or for whatever reason the animal cannot defend himself. BBasically i have heard and read that wolves don't attack humans, at least for the last 200 years they didn't. And even that the previous noted attacks before the last 200 years, were not really made by wolves but by dogs. But wolves tend to scavenge for food, especially lone wolves, since a lone wolf cannot attack in pack. And what is better to eat for a wolf than a cadaver? And now imagine the surprise of such an creature, that was happy to see something to eat, and then is attacked by his food. So do not make yourself to a cadaver, sleep only in a tent or a building. I know that in Swiss, there are no wolves, so your lack of knowledge is understandable.

xD well I always thought that wolves hunt in packs, but I was mistaken as well. :P

And btw: There are wolves in Switzerland, every now and then one crosses the borders from Italy. The wolf then proceeds to feast on unprotected sheep by farmers in the region, who then make a huge fuss about losing a couple of sheep (that they left unattended). And before long, a hunter shoots the poor beast...

Guest Alan Lawrance

Trandor -- the chance of a wolf attack while sleeping depends on the wolf activity in the area, so be careful about sleeping outdoors when you have seen or heard wolves near by. Note that the chance is not 100% either, so it sounds like you got quite unlucky. That being said, this is something that will likely get some tuning going forward, so thank you for the feedback on it.

@Trandor

I have yesterday looked up, informations of wolf attacks on humans. My informations were too old. In 2010 there seems to have been in Alaska a predatory attack of a pack on a female jogger. This is based on the prints left on the scene of the crime / attack , but not on a witness testimony or other evidence. All other attacks on humans are provoked or rabies. And if i was provoked by a wolf or had rabies, then i would also attack and bite a wolf to death.

Well I'm here to claim my rightful title now. Trandor: Slayer of Wolves.

WCEz6ue.jpg

Unfortunately the wolves start to despawn after 6, otherwise I'd have killed some more. :D

@Alan, I guess the problem is that the wolf attack does occur when a wolf is nearby the player, or "in the area", but apparently you spawn a new wolf on the player, but do not despawn the wolf that is in the area, making you able to fight an infinite amount of wolves when going to sleep. I had that thought before, but was able to confirm this when I ran to my bedroll with a wolf in my back, went to sleep, fought a wolf and immediately got attacked by the wolf that followed me. Just fyi. ;)

Wolves will almost always avoid humans, unless rabid or provoked.

Having said that, exceptions may happen. Being at the brink of starvation may bring most animals to behave in erratic often semi-suicidal behavior (rats attackign cats etc). But the game seems to have an abundance of deer, so famine amongs the wolves seems pretty unlikley.

. I know the game needs an opponent, but wolves now seem to be taken out of a B-movie horror. At least give players an option to play with "realistic" or "B-movie" wolves. Current wolves and their behaviour ar as realistic as zombies if you ask me.

For balance:

- I'd say make agressive wolfpacks more rare, but also larger (8+ individuals)

- Even then, make wolves not attack the players, unless his general condition falls to 20% or lower. Wolves generlaly do not attack healthy large animals (adult humans are large animals in this definition), but ill or weak ones that's something different.

- If it wasn't for the winter theme, I'd say add black bears as potential danger to players.

Archived