My humble experience in the dark.

Crimson Foxx

I have always loved survival games but even more so gaming experiences that draw me into that world and give me such an immersive adventure.

The Long Dark was something i saw one day while browsing Youtube when i came across Willowest. Now i had never seen the game before and never subscribed to her channel so i paused in my youtube-exploring and decided to check the game and her love for it out. After the first episode i was hooked. It was clear she adored the game and I  knew i had to try this for myself. So i bought it on Steam. At first i really wasnt sure if this was a game i could myself get into. It was so 'artsy'. everything was like a oil painting and i wasnt sure. Then within moments of wondering where i was and discovering the Camp Office in Mystery Lake i knew i had stumbled on the game that would become my favourite ever. I fell in love with its artistic style and wouldnt change it for the world. I was overwhelmed and felt so small and insignificant in this frozen wasteland. I really felt fragile and vulnerable and mortal.

I was also quite pleasantly surprised by the activity in the games development and updates and growth. So many games i had thought would become epic and great had died a quick death and i had feared this would be just another Indy game that crumbled into a silent grave. But no. Raphael and his Hinterland Team had an energetic passion and realistic set of plans. 

Now i am not the most skilled TLD survivor. I often die in the first day of being in that world as i tend to always choose Stalker and love the challenge. But i am there, i trully live it. This game touches on the heart strings and feelings i cherish inside. It is a cold beautiful escape and with the soundtrack that just stops me in my snow tracks and causes me to stare out across the frozen lake or coastline and watch a sunrise is almost a tearful moment. 

I love the wildlife in the game. Its like they are there with me, experiencing this secret unique world i share with them. They are fighting for survival just as i am, wondering where their next meal will be and never knowing if they will get to see another sunrise. But i am also in the battle arena with them. Hunter and hunted. It hurts when i end the life of any of them, be it a small scared rabbit or an angry bear. But i always always make sure to never waste anything. I take all they gave and give a silent prayer for them as i move on and seek shelter. 

"Nerrivik, we give you back your earth child.
Noble, regal, honourable spirit
Watch over her, and guide her on her way
to the spirit world.
May she be blessed in your names,
and run in the tall grass fields ever after beside you."

I do not know what the future is ahead for The Long Dark. I am excited at the time i write this as i am possibly 2 months away from the first Story Episode being released and i trully do not know what to expect. The sandbox has become my playground and even i feel Hinterland themselves never expected it to be such a success, hence why they constantly improve the sandbox mode and enrichen its content. I have the assured belief that this game will always get better and with such a strong supportive community its life span is long.

I hope the Story Mode will still be a survival open-world game. I understand their will be a more focused intent and story-path the player will follow but i want to feel the rush, the fear, the panic and joy i have had from the sandbox time and in making life changing decisions. 

What ever happens from here on in, i know this wild game, this frozen world, this immersive escape will always be a part of my gaming life. 

Thank you Hinterland and Raphael for your vision and passion and for gifting me a reason to smile and feel warm and happy inside. x

Archived