Challenge Idea: Spirit Bear Rescue

cloudsoda

Hello! I recently bought The Long Dark and after playing quite a bit, I thought I'd post my idea for a new challenge.

Behold: the spirit bear!

e55DJIt.jpg

Spirit bears (aka Kermode bears) are a rare subspecies of black bear that live in the coastal regions of Canada. They're unique for not being albinos or "blonde" like brown bears in Alaska can be. On top of that, their fur color actually improves their fishing, as it makes it harder for the fish to spot them. There's estimated to be 500-1200 spirit bears living in B.C.

My idea for this challenge would be that the player starts out at a random location in the game world and must travel north to reach the spirit bear and free it from a bear trap. Ideally, it would be located in its own separate map, akin to the "rainforests" that Kermode bears live in. Players would follow trail markers and clues left behind. Specifically, petroglyphs carved into rock faces during daylight hours, and following the Aurora Borealis at night.

Like The Hunted, Part One, there would be penalties for taking too long. I was thinking either:

A. There would be a time limit of, say, 50 days (half of what a regular black bear can survive without food or water).

or B. If the player dawdled, the weather would become harsher, and more bears would spawn.

As a reward for freeing the bear and treating its wounds (would require the player to have an Old Man's Beard Wound Dressing on hand), the player would unlock a feat that granted a boost to the number of fish caught while ice fishing, or gave a unique hat that looked like a Kwakiutl mask that boosted fishing skills.

Hmm, well, it definitely sounds interesting and would be a different way to play. Might be good for folks who are starting to get bored of just survival. It also brings to mind my thoughts about how Hinterland could implement allowing the survivor to gain a wolf or dog companion.

16 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

Hmm, well, it definitely sounds interesting and would be a different way to play. Might be good for folks who are starting to get bored of just survival. It also brings to mind my thoughts about how Hinterland could implement allowing the survivor to gain a wolf or dog companion.

I don't know how well dogs and bears mix, to be honest. XD

Archived