Play with friends

xXHoBoXx

I feel that this would take away from the concept of the game. Now, I understand that many people have been requesting multiplayer for quite some time now but Hinterland has made no plans to include it. The Long Dark is all about you, the player, fending for yourself in a world where mother nature is your only enemy. By adding multiplayer/online would degrade the image of the game. It's significance/depth would not be there. It's hard to explain but essentially, by adding the ability to play with your friends, The Long Dark would not have its meaning anymore. 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:08 AM, Kevin_Rs5 said:

I feel that this would take away from the concept of the game. Now, I understand that many people have been requesting multiplayer for quite some time now but Hinterland has made no plans to include it. The Long Dark is all about you, the player, fending for yourself in a world where mother nature is your only enemy. By adding multiplayer/online would degrade the image of the game. It's significance/depth would not be there. It's hard to explain but essentially, by adding the ability to play with your friends, The Long Dark would not have its meaning anymore. 

I totally agree. I don't want a bunch of stupid six-year olds running around naked wasting all their ammo on shooting other players. Its too much like rust or dayz then. No offense, but if you want a multiplayer game, go play rust or dayz or unturned or something.

16 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I totally agree. I don't want a bunch of stupid six-year olds running around naked wasting all their ammo on shooting other players. Its too much like rust or dayz then. No offense, but if you want a multiplayer game, go play rust or dayz or unturned or something.

Why? I dont want a crappy runNgun experience. I want to be freezing to death, trudging through waist high snow, trying to keep track of my plainly freezing to death comrade through the blinding sleet, slowly turning over in my dying brain the idea of eating the last can of beans that we have between us.... Maybe I could say that I dropped them? They'd believe that right? Wait... where'd they go? Is that them? Yep - still on track.... My turn to break snow next... Maybe I should eat them now? Hmmm... If we don't make it to hut, we'll have to sleep in the cave and use bodywarmth to make it through the night.. Damnit they went over the rise and I lost them... Damnit I'M lost *frantically looking around* *see light faintly in the distance**pop * *charges towards it* *finds a lit lantern in the snow* *seen another through the snow* *and another* *a red glow in the distance* *find friend preparing the last can of beans for both of us after setting a trail of lights for me to find my way through the snow*

*bludgeons them and eats the whole last can of beans while crying*

Now, coming from someone who can't understand why there are always people who want multiplayer and stuff in survival or plain old singleplayer games, I think if we did this it'd be risky, with hinterland having to run servers and stuff. The dev team is small and would have issues maintaining the servers, and 3rd party servers would become complicated.

The Idea as a whole opens up some fantastic survival stories, where 2 people meet and initially fight over supplies in a building, come to an agreement and trade, or camp together, or heck, even set up a group base in like, coastal townsite or something. Allowing trade for other players and such. It'd be a barter system, of course. But for every door this idea opens it closes two more. As I said, the devs don't appear to have that large of a workforce, and with those limited resources, managing all of the aspects of multiplayer would become a handicap for the development, along with the way sleep and cooking systems would need an overhaul to work with multiple clients.

Archived