Skills?

levism84

I'd like to see those skills too, and crafting makes promise of finding new items to craft on the map from blueprints or recipes or something.

I suppose my only complaint (which isn't really a complaint but an observation) is that for a long-term survival game (which this is not, yet), the skills seem to level up too quickly. I mean, if you successfully use them 50 or so times, you are at 100% base success rate.

I've always been a fan of Dreyfus' Theory of Skill Acquisition.

I agree with you. Code is Math, so there has to be numerical values, but those don't necessarily have to be revealed to the player.

One thing that was discussed in Kickstarter, is having books in buildings that can expand skills as well. As a heavy reader. I'm excited for that.

I sort of thought skills would help improve other things associated with the skill. For example, here is an alternative Fire Starting skill I worked up just using some of the stuff in the game already. Instead of already starting with 50 ranks in the skill, you would start with 10 so you were at level 1. Alternatively, if additional protagonists are introduced that don't know basic survival, you could start them with 0 ranks so they were level 0.

Fire Starting

A skill used to start and maintain fires.

Associated Items: In order to use the Fire Starting skill, the protagonist needs a starter, tinder, and fuel. Accelerant can be added, optionally, in order to increase the likelihood of successfully starting a fire. Additional fuel may be added to extend the duration of the fire after the fire has been started.

Starter: fire starter, magnifying glass, matches.

Tinder: newsprint, newspaper roll, tinder plug.

Fuel: cedar firewood, fir firewood, fire log, reclaimed wood.

Accelerant: accelerant.

Level: A protagonist with Fire Starting level 0 only has a 35% base success rate when trying to start a fire, and fuel lasts only half as long as normal for them. This penalty goes away once they have obtained Fire Starting level 1.

Ranks: In order to gain a rank in Fire Starting, the protagonist must successfully start a fire.

Base Success Rate (BSR): Chance of starting a fire.

Bonus: As the protagonist increases their skill of starting fire, they learn how to manage the heat of the fire, getting the most out of each piece of wood. At level 2, the protagonist's fuel lasts 10% longer. This increases to 20% at level 4, 30% at level 6, 40% at level 8, and 50% at level 10.

Capstone: At level 10, the protagonist adds "stick and string" to their option of starters when using the Fire Starting skill. This reduces the base success rate by 25% but does not consume a starter from the protagonist's inventory.

Uses: This skill is used to start fires which can be used for warmth, illumination, and to keep wild animals at bay. A fire can also be used to cook raw food, melt snow, and boil water.

Level 0; Ranks 0; Benefits: BSR: 35%. Penalty: fuel lasts only half as long as normal.

Level 1; Ranks 10; Benefits: BSR: 50%.

Level 2; Ranks 20; Benefits: BSR: 55%. Bonus: fuel lasts 10% longer.

Level 3; Ranks 30; Benefits: BSR: 60%.

Level 4; Ranks 40; Benefits: BSR: 65%. Bonus: fuel lasts 20% longer.

Level 5; Ranks 50; Benefits: BSR: 70%.

Level 6; Ranks 60; Benefits: BSR: 75%. Bonus: fuel lasts 30% longer.

Level 7; Ranks 70; Benefits: BSR: 80%.

Level 8; Ranks 80; Benefits: BSR: 85%. Bonus: fuel lasts 40% longer.

Level 9; Ranks 90; Benefits: BSR: 90%.

Level 10; Ranks 100; Benefits: BSR: 95%. Bonus: fuel lasts 50% longer. Capstone: you can use sticks and string to start a fire at a -25% penalty; you no longer need a starter.

Alternatively, you could have the skill remain completely the same and add an unlockable achievement or merit badge that would improve the base skill.

Fire Starting

A skill used to start and maintain fires.

Associated Items: In order to use the Fire Starting skill, the protagonist needs a starter, tinder, and fuel. Accelerant can be added, optionally, in order to increase the likelihood of successfully starting a fire. Additional fuel may be added to extend the duration of the fire after the fire has been started.

Starter: fire starter, magnifying glass, matches.

Tinder: newsprint, newspaper roll, tinder plug.

Fuel: cedar firewood, fir firewood, fire log, reclaimed wood.

Accelerant: accelerant.

Base Success Rate (BSR): The protagonist has a 50% base chance of starting a fire.

Uses: This skill is used to start fires which can be used for warmth, illumination, and to keep wild animals at bay. A fire can also be used to cook raw food, melt snow, and boil water.

Fire Starting Merit Badges:

Black Trim Badge

This badge represents amateur skill at starting and maintaining campfires.

Prerequisite: Successfully start 10 fires.

Benefit: You increase your base success rate for starting a fire to 60%. Fuel burns 10% longer.

Bronze Trim Badge

This badge represents basic skill at starting and maintaining campfires.

Prerequisite: Successfully start 25 fires.

Benefit: You increase your base success rate for starting a fire to 70%. Fuel burns 20% longer.

Silver Trim Badge

This badge represents moderate skill at starting and maintaining campfires.

Prerequisite: Successfully start 50 fires.

Benefit: You increase your base success rate for starting a fire to 80%. Fuel burns 30% longer.

Gold Trim Badge

This badge represents complex skill at starting and maintaining campfires.

Prerequisite: Successfully start 100 fires.

Benefit: You increase your base success rate for starting a fire to 90%. Fuel burns 40% longer.

Platinum Trim Badge

This badge represents advanced skill at starting and maintaining campfires.

Prerequisite: Successfully start 250 fires.

Benefit: You increase your base success rate for starting a fire to 95%. Fuel burns 50% longer.

Just an idea.

Archived