The Bunny AI needs a look over.

Gustaaf

15 hours ago, EternityTide said:

However, @Boston123 is not wrong. Rabbits provide 1-1.5 kilograms of meat per kill, which is approximately 450 - 675 calories per kill, meaning that to sustain yourself, you would need to kill 4-5 rabbits per day in order to not starve. Hunting the blighters, plus filleting them, depending on weather conditions, would lead to an extremely narrow calorie profit margin at best, if not downright making a loss.

Now I have never had much success with snares, instead I hunt large game like deer, or the occasional wolf, but my point stands; once you factor in the harvesting costs of saplings, the crafting of bows and arrows, the harvesting and the cooking, overall you will make a net loss of calories, making bow-hunting of rabbits highly uneconomical.

You are right.  As designed now, regardless of what he description is, the bow is for hunting deer and wolves.  It's too uneconomical to go after rabbits regardless of how realistic that action might be.

In another threat we were chatting about having two types of bows, a found bow (a modern recurve) and a fond bow.  I think the only way you could get this system to work is if hinterlands re-designed the basic bow, giving it less wear per shot, more shafts generated per sapling, and not need arrowhead, and be able to take rabbits but be ineffectual vs deer.  Then allow the player to find a recurve that could be repaired and whose arrows could be crafted but need to be thicker shafts to withstand the greater force, so less arrows per sapling, needed arrowheads etc...kind of meshing the 'you have to find it' of the rifle with the 'you can keep on making more ammo...at least until saplings run out' of the bow as it exists today.

On 9/20/2016 at 1:23 AM, EternityTide said:

. But whatever, if you want to waste your energy hunting small game with a bow, be my guest, just don't ask the developers to change the game to accommodate your inefficient playstyle. @Gustaaf, I don't mean your suggestion, I fully agree that the rabbit animation needs improvement

Well, as you correctly assert, the request is to change the bunny animation etc, to be more predictable. The request for bunnies dying in blizzard as free snacks, welcome... As for my playing style, I don't make hunting bunnies with bows "my style", just the ability to do so if the survival situation calls for it. If it was not for skin/fur tanning in-doors, I would be roaming more so outdoors. Like everyone, you have to haul your loot back to a building or cave, where curing can take place. The improvements I request are not to my own benefit or said play-style, I try to keep that separate and objective.

Archived