Satchels, snowshoes, and more...

German4XXX

As always amazing work with the game.  Every time I fire it up I smile.  Ok here we go....

A craftable backpack or satchel - Could add carry weight (to a reduced starting carry maximum weight???) or add some kind of stamina bonus.  The idea of our survivor carrying all that weight in his hands and pockets, well its just not possible.

Craftable snowshoes - Thought of this when I was walking on the road and noticed a slight tick up in speed of walking.  maybe a slight speed bonus for walking (with a reduced running speed :))

More animals to trap.  Beavers from the ice holes.  I really want to be able to craft of hat of somekind.  Ill throw this in there as long as we are on the subject but wolf traps would be kind of cool as well but I'm not sure how balance would come into play there.  Beavers for the win though.

Grouse AKA the spruce grouse, fool hen, or stupid chicken.

Friction fires, most notably the bow drill for "experienced fire starters", a craftable item as well.

For predators to respond to bait.  Throw out fresh meat and sit and wait with bow in hand.

A wrist watch, would be cool if you could not only tell the time but figure out where north is based on the sun position and the time of day.

A way to preserve meat.  The ideas that come to mind are a smoker (not the modern kind, the DIY kind, Ive seen wooden stands above campfires with spruce bows covering it to hold in the smoke, Ive seen some made out of mud but that wouldn't apply here of course).  Also a old school elevated trappers food cash would be neat.  Or the ability to freeze your meat and thaw it out later for use.

A craftable dragable sled to haul more weight long distances.

Spruce needle tea.

A way to fight cabin fever.  I'm not sure exactly how this mechanic works just yet but reading, crafting, melting snow...I would hope that makes one "immune" to cabin fever as that's pretty much what I do when its stormy outside although I keep seeing it in my medical as a risk.

For the sandbox - something to do or some goal to work towards once the map has been fully explored,all loot has been taken, and all things crafted.  This is probably the most difficult request as almost every survival game fails with the answer to this.  I also scratch my head with this one as Ive thought about it quite a bit.  As far as this game goes it would be cool to have some very late game things to do to fill this gap.  We could fix up the cabin we call home to make it better in ways which I'm sure could tie it in nicely to the crafting bench.  Some late game sandbox goal like actually getting rescued - this could include different ways of rescue as well.  Possibly components to some plan scattered across the entire "world".  The flare gun from one place, red spray paint from another to paint SOS in the snow, a signal mirror for when its sunny, all leading up to some kind of air rescue.  I don't know, I don't make games I just play them.

9 hours ago, German4XXX said:

A craftable backpack or satchel - Could add carry weight (to a reduced starting carry maximum weight???) or add some kind of stamina bonus.  The idea of our survivor carrying all that weight in his hands and pockets, well its just not possible.

Well, I always thought we're already wearing a backpack, given the zipper-noise when opening the inventory.

Craftable snowshoes - Thought of this when I was walking on the road and noticed a slight tick up in speed of walking.  maybe a slight speed bonus for walking (with a reduced running speed :))

This is a good idea that has been posted before, but never with the drawback you mentioned as far as I remember. I like it! Should only work on actual snow though - the game can already detect the ground you're walking on, given the different walking-sounds, so that shouldn't be too hard to implement.

More animals to trap.  Beavers from the ice holes.  I really want to be able to craft of hat of somekind.  Ill throw this in there as long as we are on the subject but wolf traps would be kind of cool as well but I'm not sure how balance would come into play there.  Beavers for the win though.

Beavers would make sense, so yeah, I'm with you here.

Friction fires, most notably the bow drill for "experienced fire starters", a craftable item as well.

This has been suggested pretty often already, and yeah, I'm with you here as well. But it should be a really late unlock - maybe at fire starting skill 90 or so?

For predators to respond to bait.  Throw out fresh meat and sit and wait with bow in hand.

Don't they do this already? I'm gonna have to check.

A wrist watch, would be cool if you could not only tell the time but figure out where north is based on the sun position and the time of day.

I like this - maybe without the watch you don't get the precise "x hours of daytime left" value? However, the cardinal directions are a bit inconsistent in the game as of now.

A way to preserve meat.  The ideas that come to mind are a smoker (not the modern kind, the DIY kind, Ive seen wooden stands above campfires with spruce bows covering it to hold in the smoke, Ive seen some made out of mud but that wouldn't apply here of course).  Also a old school elevated trappers food cash would be neat.  Or the ability to freeze your meat and thaw it out later for use.

Oh boy, we have threads about this at least once a week. I agree that we do need food preservation, and I am fairly sure that it will eventually come since seasons are on the roadmap.

A way to fight cabin fever.  I'm not sure exactly how this mechanic works just yet but reading, crafting, melting snow...I would hope that makes one "immune" to cabin fever as that's pretty much what I do when its stormy outside although I keep seeing it in my medical as a risk.

Cabin fever is a legitimate psychological condition and describes a claustrophobic reaction to being in confined spaces for too long. The only cure is, in fact, going outside. Not being bored can maybe delay it, but not fight it. 

Archived