Disappointing end to Whiteout challenge

Renegade30

So I got back into the long dark during the test branch to try out the whiteout challenge as I love the idea of surviving harsh weather\natural conditions rather than the wolf onslaught. I thought 'Great! A challenge where I have to wonder around to haul back various resources (including a reasonable amount of ammunition I had to go all the way to pleasant valley for) so that I can survive for as long as possible during a prolonged period of the worst weather mother nature can throw at you'.

So I went about getting gear and trying to ration my resources so that I would be prepared for the oncoming storm and put in quite a few hours looking forward to what would await me. I even got all the furs curing away so that I could craft clothing for when my clothes would inevitably wear out after being exposed to the blizzard for a long time.

I started purifying some water about 10 days out from the deadline, which was the last thing I needed, thinking all I need to do now is ration my resources from now on, and then bam 'You have completed the challenge!'. I thought what?? I haven't even seen the storm yet!

I was fully expecting to actually have to try and survive the storm for as long as I could and only then win the challenge.

To be honest I think that's what the challenge should be about, surviving the storm for as long as possible, perhaps even with awards for an extended survival time, ie make the storm last forever and see who can last the longest. At the moment the challenge seems really bleh

TLDR:
Whiteout challenge needs to be about surviving the storm for as long as possible, not automatically won by gathering the resources weeks out from the storm even beginning.

Archived