New to the forum!

ScottJ

Hello!  My name's Scott, and I've been playing The Long Dark for a couple of months, and really love the game!  I actually work in games myself... and have been a CG Animator in TV, Feature films, and Games for 18 years.

It's very refreshing to see a survival game that uses the natural environment, and the creatures that inhabit it, and degradation as the 'enemy'.  And being a science nerd...the Solar flare idea is brilliant and entirely plausible - one such storm hit in 1859, and another massive flare was released in 2012 but luckily the Earth was at a different point in it's orbit and wasn't hit.  Having grown up in Canada, the sound of the snow being walked on is perfect.

Looking forward to updates to the game, and also the single player campaign!

On 6/14/2016 at 11:44 AM, ScottJ said:

Hello!  My name's Scott, and I've been playing The Long Dark for a couple of months, and really love the game!  I actually work in games myself... and have been a CG Animator in TV, Feature films, and Games for 18 years.

It's very refreshing to see a survival game that uses the natural environment, and the creatures that inhabit it, and degradation as the 'enemy'.  And being a science nerd...the Solar flare idea is brilliant and entirely plausible - one such storm hit in 1859, and another massive flare was released in 2012 but luckily the Earth was at a different point in it's orbit and wasn't hit.  Having grown up in Canada, the sound of the snow being walked on is perfect.

Looking forward to updates to the game, and also the single player campaign!

Hi ScottJ and welcome! :coffee:

Nice to be reminded of the 2012 near-miss. Quite the event, by all accounts. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

The research into the Sun's own "ecosystem" is really fascinating. 

Archived