Loading Screens!

Skitfaced

Loading Screens and Tips/Quotes  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A lot of games use this technique, having their nice scenery slideshow during loading transition, with those nice little hints and tips on the bottom of the screen, or perhaps some quotes from famous survivalists. Maybe not every loading screen (like entering and exiting buildings) but perhaps map transitions. Sound good guys??

I like the survivalist quotes on game start.

For in-game transitions I wouldn't want anything that takes you out of character, like game tips, or scenic shots. I'd actually love it if they could do a "fake transition" animation for building entry/exit to maintain the sense of being "in character". So, instead of clicking the door, hearing the door open noise, fade to black, and appearing inside, they could play an animation that ends where the player spawns in the interior.

So for bunkers you could have a "open hatch, climb down ladder" transition. Basement shelters would have an "open doors, walk down, close doors" transition. Standard buildings might have to get fancy, for two reasons :

1 - Their exterior shape doesn't always match the interior

2 - You can place items and harvest furniture from the interior, but that won't affect what you see during the exterior transition.

With some clever camerawork you might be able to overcome the issue, maybe having the character look down as they enter, and wipe their feet, before looking up to shut the door. Or just whirling around quickly to slam the door shut if you were running or escaping a wolf. It'd be interesting if the transition was such that a lot of newer players didn't realise interiors were completely separate areas. 

1 hour ago, LucidFugue said:

Standard buildings might have to get fancy, for two reasons :

1 - Their exterior shape doesn't always match the interior

2 - You can place items and harvest furniture from the interior, but that won't affect what you see during the exterior transition.

With some clever camerawork you might be able to overcome the issue, maybe having the character look down as they enter, and wipe their feet, before looking up to shut the door. Or just whirling around quickly to slam the door shut if you were running or escaping a wolf. It'd be interesting if the transition was such that a lot of newer players didn't realise interiors were completely separate areas. 

I completely agree! a quick camera swivel to looking outside from inside the building, but get this. What if we didn't texture the inside of the door at all? I mean from that angle the light would contrast, and everything inside is supposed to look dark. Transition animation! I'll just add that to the poll...

Archived