Food disappears from inventory

midnight

I went looking for wood outside the Hydro plant, I had 4 uncooked pieces of wolf meat that I just killed from in the Hydro plant. When I got back from foraging a wolf had just killed a deer in front of me and then it started to chase me but I made it in the power plant, when I went to cook the meat I had nothing... same thing happened at the lake office cabin... I had put the meat down by the stove went to get wood and when I got back there was nothing there... meat seems to disappear... is that normal? also I noticed that I went to every spot in the map and hoarded everything... I went back to the lake cabinsfor a second round and the first 3 cabins of the lake to the right of the Cabin office had resupplied itself... is that normal? or just a lucky bug? Thanks!

Guest Alan Lawrance

Food will decay when left on the ground, and when it decays to 0% it will automatically be destroyed. Not sure if that is the explanation for what you saw though. I'd be interested if this is a reproducible problem.

Placed gear does not respawn, so it sounds like there is some bug with the cabins getting resupplied.

We'll investigate both of these issues, thanks for reporting them!

Welcome. On my next round I will do as I did before and see what happens with the meat vanishing. I haven't done it because of fear of loosing it again, I thought it was part of the game. I will check it's status as well before dropping it and will keep some on me to compare decay ratio. I'll also leave some outside and see how it all unfolds. I'll be doing a Schrödinger's cat paradox test in the game.

Did the test. Food remained in the cabin (1 piece) and outside (1piece), returned 2 days later from foraging, hunting and sleeping and still there. [spoil]If a wolf walks by would he eat the meat? does the animal still wonder around on its own if player is not interacting outside the cabins? Food also decays at the same rate (on the person, indoor on the floor and on the snow ground it seems) was that always the case or did I miss read a quote of food left outside would decay slower then on the person? either way it was a lot of fun doing that... just added a what if factor and could I use the outside weather as a fridge to keep food lasting longer if it was frozen and the wolf didn't eat its brother? this is a great game![/spoil]

Archived