Bats, Rats and Bugs in Caves? Cave-ins?

SteveP

What do you think? there could be hazards such as disease from bats and rat and bugs especially if they get in your food. Canned safe, boxed or meat not safe. How about other hazards such as falling rocks or cave-ins?

Would these new critters need complex AIs? They could just be scuttering visual effects like birds or interactive to some degree by leaving droppings and pilfering items.

Catching and eating rats/bats should be a thing. Scuttering noises in caves would be just so cool even or especially if you never see anything! It just adds to the claustrophobic, scary atmosphere of caves with the risk of cave-ins. Maybe rats could be useful such as leading to food, to secret passages or to exits. In the dark, perhaps you could see their eyes. In torch light, they should [glow=red]glow red[/glow].

[bBvideo 560,340:1cz9o1z2]https://youtu.be/uWelvEU_amI[/bBvideo]

claw scuttling/scuttering sound effect. https://youtu.be/uTWNg1Cpmfc?t=2m25s

Bats hibernate in winter, and are generally not easy to wake up. (The reason being, if they wake up they stand a good chance of expending too much energy to make it through the rest of the winter). Maybe there could be sleeping bats? Our bats are not much bigger than mice, so not that great of a food resource, but it's something I guess. For the record, there are no fruit bats in Canada.

Insects too are very docile at temperatures near freezing. In caves perhaps they might still be active.

Rats in caves are not really a thing in Canada that I'm aware of... but I guess as part of a game, why not. :)Norway rats and black rats have been introduced to BC, and might plausibly take up shelter in a cave... though I suspect they're more closely associated with humans (maybe PV would be a good spot).

There are pack rats (aka bushy-tailed woodrat) thoroughout mainland BC, but they're absent from Vancouver Island, where the game likely is set.

Bats hibernate in winter, and are generally not easy to wake up. (The reason being, if they wake up they stand a good chance of expending too much energy to make it through the rest of the winter). Maybe there could be sleeping bats? Our bats are not much bigger than mice, so not that great of a food resource, but it's something I guess. For the record, there are no fruit bats in Canada.

I was looking for the sound effects and fruit bats sound more interesting than the high pitched ones. The feces of bats and rats or other animals would still be in the caves and contain a hazard. The other animals could contribute to a creepy environment. Thanks for your comments. I don't know if fans would be interested so I put it out there.

The other cave sounds are creepy! The falling rocks.

Archived