an annual cycle

jesterdesu

During which plant life and eventually saplings could grow back.

Seasons would also be great, though unsure whether this geomagnetic disaster might make this impossible.

Personally I prefer the idea of a sort of "perpetual winter" caused by the geomagnetic apocalypse.

1) That isn't how a geomagnetic event works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_storm

All it would do, and all it has done, is effectively prevent certain forms of electricity from working. It didn't stop the Earth from spinning, either on its axis (days), or around the sun (seasons/years).

The reason it is so cold and ice-covered in-game is because the geomagnetic disaster happened in winter. If it happened in summer, the power would be off and it would be 70 degrees F during the day.

2) If we were indeed stuck in a perpetual winter....... why would you even bother surviving? All life is going to go extinct, you would just be prolonging the inevitable.

1) That isn't how a geomagnetic event works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_storm

All it would do, and all it has done, is effectively prevent certain forms of electricity from working. It didn't stop the Earth from spinning, either on its axis (days), or around the sun (seasons/years).

The reason it is so cold and ice-covered in-game is because the geomagnetic disaster happened in winter. If it happened in summer, the power would be off and it would be 70 degrees F during the day.

2) If we were indeed stuck in a perpetual winter....... why would you even bother surviving? All life is going to go extinct, you would just be prolonging the inevitable.

1) So you wouldn't say that solar activity is a driver of global climate in any way? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_act ... nd_climate I can link to Wikipedia too. ;)

2) To me that is the fun of the game is just seeing how long one can survive against ever increasing odds.

) If we were indeed stuck in a perpetual winter....... why would you even bother surviving? All life is going to go extinct, you would just be prolonging the inevitable.

That's a strangely defeatist attitude. As long as I'm alive, There's always the chance for something to get better. After I'm dead, well... Nonexistence isn't really an appealing idea to me.

" ...Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

-Carl Sagan

) If we were indeed stuck in a perpetual winter....... why would you even bother surviving? All life is going to go extinct, you would just be prolonging the inevitable.

That's a strangely defeatist attitude. As long as I'm alive, There's always the chance for something to get better. After I'm dead, well... Nonexistence isn't really an appealing idea to me.

" ...Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

-Carl Sagan

If the world was stuck in a "perpetual winter", then, eventually, plants would all die off. Following that, herbivores, then carnivores. Then, just you, stuck in your shelter because you are too weak to go outside.

There wouldn't be any chance to "get better". I'll take a bullet over starving to death any day

I'll take a bullet over starving to death any day

Differing philosophy, I suppose. Killing myself, no matter how dire the situation, isn't a thought I will ever entertain. Each day saved from the clutches of death is better than the alternative.

Use the time and remaining supplies you've got to construct a greenhouse using the various windows from neighboring houses. Grow food. Potatoes have incredibly high nutrient yields for the amount of soil they need.

Tear insulation out of those same neighboring houses. Reinforce everything.

Who is to say pockets of humanity haven't weathered this crisis as well? You're still alive, they might be too. And maybe some day, they could venture out and happen upon you in your insulated cabin attached to a greenhouse.

"A little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success."

-Elbert Hubbard

I'll take a bullet over starving to death any day

Differing philosophy, I suppose. Killing myself, no matter how dire the situation, isn't a thought I will ever entertain. Each day saved from the clutches of death is better than the alternative.

Use the time and remaining supplies you've got to construct a greenhouse using the various windows from neighboring houses. Grow food. Potatoes have incredibly high nutrient yields for the amount of soil they need.

Tear insulation out of those same neighboring houses. Reinforce everything.

Who is to say pockets of humanity haven't weathered this crisis as well? You're still alive, they might be too. And maybe some day, they could venture out and happen upon you in your insulated cabin attached to a greenhouse.

"A little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success."

-Elbert Hubbard

I .... don't think we are referring to the same event, here.

I am talking about if winter never ends, like what the above poster referred to. Where spring never comes, where the planet (or hell, just where the game takes place) gets locked in ice, snow and blizzards for the entirety of the foreseeable future. That, I would totally be "removing myself from the equation", as it were. There is no future in that.

If there was a "coming of the Ice Age", yeah, I would totally survive for as long as I could. Believe me or not, but there were seasons during the Ice Age, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. Plants could, and did, grow. It would be entirely possible to survive, even have agriculture and such, during an "Ice Age".

But, "eternal winter? No, screw that. Living off some scraggly potatoes for the my entire life doesn't sound much like "living". Nutritional deficiency, ahoy!

Archived