Why do fires are this cold ?

WinterWhite

I would say +8 degrees Celsius is the gain in body heat from standing near that fire. The fire might be 800 degrees but there is air and as many clothes as possible between you and the freezing air, so heat transfer is slow.

As for burning, I literally burned to death (in game :D ) twice in blizzards from starting a fire too close.

Didn't even have time to roll in the snow... :lol:

Okay but it means that at the forge, when it writes you"150°C, this is what you feel? You would die x) and 150°c is the fire temperature requirement for making the forge work... and this number is located at the same place as the temperature i was talking about in the regular fires ...so it means that this number is the fire temp..

I didn't get as far as the forge, just started a few days ago...

Iron melts at about 1100 - 1500 degrees Celsius and that would be the working temperature inside the forge. The 150 degrees would be the temperature at the surface of the forge (instant blistering) ? If you were to feel 150 that, it would be fatal, I agree.

For certain, at 150 degrees, the iron is a bit more malleable but still solid.

Perhaps it's an overlooked thing.

So what is the 150°C ??? And do you think that a fire would only warm you up around like 8 degrees ? Go outside when it's 8°C IRL and tell me if it feels like the heat that a fire provides you...

it's a big NOPE.....

i wait for a developer answer, 'cause they what these numbers really means .

I always thought it was the radiant heat you feel. It decreases with your distance from the fire if you check it.

The fire itself would be much hotter if it could radiate that much heat. But only down in the coals or a few CM above them.

It is uncomfortable to open a 160C oven but not deadly. Blacksmiths would work over forgea hotter and live.

Except for the forge i haven't seen a fire radiate more than ~60C.

You might find this link interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia

8 degrees is huge difference in core body temperature: 37 Celsius is normal, 35 - 32 shivering, 28 - 32 the drowsy state (that blurry slow motion in game). Below that you're unconscious, aka dead in this game.

So the 8 degrees Celsius bring you back from near lose of consciousness to normal core temperature, fast and without hospitalization. Sweet.

The limbs are usually lower in temperature, being thinner with more surface exposed; as blood circulates it tends to level the body temperatures (lowering central and raising limb temperatures). When the core temperature gets to 28 degrees, you're in trouble.

Conversely, touching some 150 degree object directly would impart a lot of heat to you but it will also cook your hand (it's one and a half times the temperature of boiling water). You can work limited ammounts of time near a 150 degree object (as Jra is just writing, it's radiant heat).

I do agree they KNOW what the 150 degrees actually mean.

Perhaps THEY will explain that to us two francophones..

This doesn't make any sense, because the number can easily be increased to 20°C and more (just add more sticks - every stick is 1°C, reclaimed wood 3°C, etc)

If this was indeed the increase in your body temperature you would be dead.

This number also doesn't change with the distance to the fire.

I quite agree, any 20 degree increase in body temperature would do you no good (either death from superheating or starting outside reasonable hypothermia range for recovery in the wild). Hinterland might have overlooked this detail (it's a small one, after all).

Archived